ASU men's basketball's offense on fire in win against Texas Southern University

The 98 points scored by the Sun Devils marked a season high for the team

remy martin basketball.jpg

ASU now-senior guard Remy Martin (1) talks to the team dribbling down the court in the Sun Devils' 78-64 win against the Oregon Ducks at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019.

ASU men’s basketball (9-4) snapped its two-game losing streak Saturday, defeating Texas Southern University 98-81 in the team's final non-conference matchup of the season.

Junior guard Remy Martin, who had scored just seven points over his last two games, led the way with 23 points and five assists, including 15 points in the first half.

Junior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. stayed hot with 23 points on 10 of 13 shooting and adding seven assists, six rebounds and two steals.

Freshman guard Jaelen House tied his season-high 20 points, including draining a career-high five three-pointers in the win.

The Sun Devils' offense was hot out of the gates, connecting on each of the first ten attempts from the field, including four three-pointers.

Redshirt junior forward Romello White suffered a right ankle sprain early in the first half, paving the way for senior forward Mickey Mitchell to log playing time for the Sun Devils down low.

Mitchell provided a steady presence in the absence of White, pitching in four points and four rebounds.

The Sun Devils built a double digit lead just eight minutes into the game and finished the first half shooting a scorching 75% from the floor.

The team kept its foot on the gas pedal in a high-octane second half, forcing 10 Texas Southern turnovers and out-scoring the Tigers 50-48.

ASU ended the day with 98 points on 57% shooting to secure its highest scoring effort of the season.

Texas Southern University (3-9) suffered its third straight loss despite a game-high 27 points from junior guard John Jones.

The Sun Devils will look to remain in the win column when the team heads to Tucson on Jan. 4 to face Arizona in the conference opener at 7:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×