ASU quarterback Joey Yellen intends to transfer from program

The freshman quarterback got his lone start against USC

YellenTransfer.jpg

ASU freshman quarterback Joey Yellen (18) talks with his linemen during the Sun Devils’ 31-26 loss against the Trojans on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU freshman quarterback Joey Yellen will enter the transfer portal with intentions to leave the program, he announced via Twitter Monday morning.

"Arizona State is a special place with great people, and I will leave with nothing but love for this program," Yellen said in his statement. "The relationships and bonds I have made here will last a lifetime."

Yellen, along with freshman quarterbacks Jayden Daniels and Ethan Long, signed with ASU last December to compete for the starting job. Daniels won the position and started every game except against USC, which was Yellen's only start.

During this game, Yellen completed 28 of 44 passes for 292 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions in a 26-31 loss to the Trojans. 

Former offensive coordinator Rob Likens said that Yellen played with a hurt shoulder after being hit on the third play, saying he "toughed it out and played the rest of the game."

Considering the circumstances, Likens praised Yellen for his performance, calling it an "unbelievable performance. I can't say enough about it." 

After Daniels won the starting job, Yellen was charted as the second quarterback with Long behind him. But Long saw the field more throughout the season, playing on special teams and heading the Wildcat-based "Sparky" formation.

After former quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole left the program back in October, Daniels and Long remain as the only two quarterbacks on the team. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×