ASU women's basketball hangs on to defeat Idaho State in overtime

The Sun Devils went into overtime with an 11-0 run

womens-basketball-vs-cal-poly-0459

Sophomore guard Taya Hanson (0) celebrates a three-point shot during a game against Cal Poly on Sunday, Nov. 24, 2019, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU (7-2) overcame a lackluster offensive performance to prevail over a tough Idaho State (4-3) squad in overtime 74-69. 

With just under six minutes left in the fourth quarter, ASU held a 56-49 lead. But multiple ASU turnovers compounding with a stagnant offense allowed Idaho State to tie the game after 40 minutes of action.

The Sun Devils came into overtime looking to put the game away, scoring the first 11 points of the extra period.

Senior guard Robbi Ryan went down with an apparent knee injury early in the game. Following the injury, ASU went into a scoring lull, falling behind 35-29 going into the half.

In Ryan’s absence, senior guard Kiara Russell stepped up, scoring a career-high 14 points and brought ASU’s offense in order.

Following the game, ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne praised Russell’s contributions to the victory.

"She was so tough. She was so determined,” Turner Thorne said. "There was no way she was going to let us lose that game."

Russell was frustrated that the game reached overtime in the first place. 

"We knew that was our game," Russell said. "So we had to be the more aggressive team right from the start in overtime."

While she was happy with the end result, Turner Thorne wasn't thrilled with her team's lack of execution on the court.

"They don’t fully understand what it takes to be a top team yet," Turner Thorne said. "They are not doing the little things on the court or off the court."

Next up, ASU will host New Mexico on Dec. 14 at 2 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×