ASU women's basketball defeats New Mexico in 84-47 blowout victory

The game is the team's most dominant victory of the year so far

women's basketball vs Army 0144
Senior guard Reili Richardson (1) takes the ball up the court as Army sophomore guard Alisa Fallon (31) defends on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

Thanks to a 22-9 first quarter, ASU women’s basketball effortlessly defeated New Mexico 84-47 Saturday afternoon.

Senior guard Reili Richardson led all players in scoring with a career-high 21 points and also drained a career-high five threes, shooting 57% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc. 

Senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley put up 12 points and 12 assists. 

Freshman guard Sara Bejedi scored a season-high 16 points. Sophomore forward Jayde Van Hyfte put up eight points and six rebounds. Senior guard Kiara Russell put in an all-around solid performance with six points, eight rebounds, and five assists.

The Sun Devils played excellent defense, holding the Lobos to zero three-pointers on 18 attempts and not allowing any New Mexico players to reach double-digit points. 

The Sun Devils outscored the Lobos by double digits in three of four quarters. The most dominant display was during the third, where ASU outscored New Mexico 27-10. ASU also out-rebounded their opponent 57-25, and had 12 steals and 20 assists to the Lobos’s three steals and four assists.

ASU’s 84 points is their second-highest scoring effort and their biggest blowout victory this season. The team’s overall FG percentage of 43.8% is their third-best of the season. The Sun Devils also made a season-high ten three-pointers.

ASU improves to 8-2 on the season with the win. The Sun Devils travel to Las Cruces, New Mexico next to play New Mexico State on Dec. 18.

Reach the reporter at cvanligt@asu.edu and follow @Connor_VL on Twitter. 

×