ASU men's golf ties for second place at Southwestern Invitational

The team earned its third top three finish of the 2019-20 season

DSC_3715.jpg

ASU now-junior Cameron Sisk lines up his shot during the Maui Jim Invitational at Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018.

No. 10 ASU men’s golf earned its third top three finish of the 2019-20 season on Tuesday, tying for second place at the Southwestern Invitational in Westlake Village, California.

The Sun Devils finished three over par at North Ranch Country Club with a final team score of 867, tied with USC.

The team notched 48 birdies, three eagles and a tournament-high 159 pars.

Senior Chun An Yu led the way for ASU, finishing with an impressive 211 (-5) score and placing third on the player leaderboard, his second top three ranking of the campaign.

Yu sank a team-high 37 pars in the competition and tied for second among all golfers in par-3 stroke average with an even 3.00 score. He also shot even on par-4s which tied him for third.

Freshman David Puig made his Sun Devil debut in the contest with two eagles, helping the team place in the top five in that category.

Puig, a native of La Garriga, Spain, finished with a final score of 223 (+7) and figures to be a key piece of the ASU lineup moving forward.

Senior Blake Wagoner earned a top 10 placement on the individual leaderboard, compiling an even 216 (E) score.

Wagoner and teammate junior Mason Andersen both scored a team-high 12 birdies and Yu finished with 11 for ASU.

The Sun Devils tied for second place in stroke average on par-3, par-4 and par-5 holes, finishing with averages of 3.32 (+19), 4.14 (+21) and 4.57 (-26) respectively.

ASU’s next tournament will take place Feb. 6, when the team heads to Waikoloa, Hawaii, to compete in the Amer Ari Invitational at Waikoloa Beach Resort.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×