ASU women's golf earns first place at 2020 Tri-Match in the Desert

The team finished at one under par in victory over Denver, UCLA

ASU Womens Golf PING-ASU Golf Invitational Round 3-45.jpg

ASU then-freshman Alexandra Forsterling competes during round three of competition at the PING/ASU Golf Invitational Sunday, March 31. 2019, at Papago Golf Course in Phoenix, Arizona.

No. 2 ASU women’s golf won its first competition of the 2020 spring season Sunday, defeating Denver and No. 20 UCLA in the Tri-Match in the Desert at Superstition Mountain Prospector Golf Course in Gold Canyon.

The Sun Devils finished the tournament one under par with a final team score of 287, narrowly edging out the Bruins and the Pioneers, both finishing with an even par 288.

Sophomore Alessandra Fanali led the charge for ASU, notching a 68 (-4) score to take home first place in the player standings, the first individual championship of her collegiate career.

Making her long-awaited Sun Devil debut, freshman Amanda Linner finished with a final score of 77 (+5).

Senior Olivia Mehaffey, junior Raquel Olmos and sophomore Alexandra Forsterling all joined Fanali in the top 10 with final scores of 72 (E), 74 (+2) and 73 (+1) respectively.

The win marks ASU’s 10th tournament victory under Missy Farr-Kaye, who took over as head coach of the program in June 2015.

It is the second straight year ASU has won the Tri-Match in the Desert after defeating Georgia and Denver in Gold Canyon last season.

ASU’s next tournament will begin Feb. 9 when the team heads to Palos Verdes, California to compete in the Northrup Grumman Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes Golf Club.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×