Gallery: ASU breaks ground on new Mesa building

The long-awaited project brings the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts to downtown Mesa

ASU broke ground on its new Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts building in downtown Mesa Friday, with Mesa Mayor John Giles and University President Michael Crow at the center of the event. 

The over $70 million Creative Futures Laboratory, which is scheduled to start holding classes in Spring 2022, will house over 750 students and faculty. 

The lab will host a number of programs, including digital and sensory technology, media arts, gaming and more. 

The new programs will use virtual reality, augmented reality, 3D modeling and other technologies to "impact industries as diverse as health care, aerospace, manufacturing and entertainment," according to Mesa's website. 

'A NEW ERA': ASU partners with City of Mesa to imagine a new future with creative lab

The building will be over 115,000 square feet and will stand next to another new project, The Plaza @ Mesa City Center, which will be a two acre community area. 

Reach the photographer at aegould3@asu.edu and follow @agouldphotos on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.