ASU hockey series features split, two trips to OT versus Clarkson

The Sun Devils fell 2-1 and won 3-2, both in overtime, against the Golden Knights

_20191102 Hockey vs Quinnipiac.jpg

ASU junior forward, William Knierim (29), gets tangled up with Quinnipiac defenders on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU hockey team split its series against Clarkson in New York over the weekend, with both games being decided in overtime.

Friday

The Sun Devils were dealt a 2-1 loss in overtime by the Golden Knights that resulted in their ninth loss of the season.

ASU fell in a 1-0 hole early after Clarkson scored just over three minutes into the game on a goal from freshman forward and Arizona Coyotes draft pick Anthony Romano. The goal was Romano's fifth of the season and first goal in 14 games.

The first period featured the game's only power-play opportunities, ASU having one and Clarkson with two. Neither team was able to capitalize on the man-advantage chances.

ASU junior forward James Sanchez found the back of the net with assists from sophomore forward Jordan Sandhu and sophomore defenseman Josh Maniscalco midway through the second period to tie the lead at one.

With that goal, Sanchez tied linemate Johnny Walker for the team lead in points with 30.

Neither team would be able to find the back of the net for the rest of regulation despite several scoring opportunities.

Clarkson junior forward Jack Jacome was able to score on ASU goaltender Evan DeBrouwer just over a minute into overtime to snap ASU's four-game win streak. Clarkson graduate goaltender Frank Marotte made 23 saves on 24 shots to help his team defeat ASU in the opening game.

Saturday

ASU began the second game of the series similarly to the first, with Clarkson freshman defenseman Dustyn McFaul scoring his first goal of the season over five minutes into the game.

Golden Knights leading scorer, senior forward Haralds Egle, scored Clarkson’s second point of the night on a tip in front of the net less than three minutes after McFaul's score to double their lead.

ASU sophomore forward PJ Marrocco scored with under two minutes left in the first period to cut Clarkson’s lead to one.

Sun Devil senior forward Brett Gruber scored over five minutes into the second period to tie the game.

No more goals would come in regulation, sending the game into overtime for the second time of the series.

Senior forward Tyler Busch was able to score just a minute into overtime to defeat Clarkson 3-2 and split the series.

With the win, ASU moves to 16-9-3 on the season.

ASU returns home to Oceanside Ice Arena on Jan. 31 to host Robert Morris at 7:05 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×