Instant Recap: ASU men's basketball returns from 22 down to upset No. 22 UA

Verge's go-ahead layup with nine seconds left lifted the Sun Devils to victory

asu men's basketball vs UA victory header

ASU senior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. (11) drives to the basket during the Sun Devils' 66-65 victory over UA on Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

ASU men's basketball came back from 22 points down to upset rival No. 22 UA 66-65 on Saturday night.

After falling down into their deficit in the first half, the Sun Devils mounted a furious comeback to begin the second half, forcing the Wildcats to miss their first five shots to begin the period.

ASU used that defense and turned it into a 15-4 run to cut the deficit to one. After trading shots for nearly ten minutes, ASU took a 60-59 lead, its first lead of the second half.

After battling with the lead, junior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. hit the go-ahead layup with nine seconds left to lift the Sun Devils over the Wildcats.

Verge finished with 13 points, while junior guard Remy Martin paced the Sun Devils with 24 points and four assists. Redshirt senior guard Rob Edwards chipped in 15 points for ASU.

The Sun Devils forced the Wildcats into 18 turnovers, which they turned into 20 points.

Despite holding UA to shooting 28% in the second half, ASU committed 10 fouls in the period, leading to eight points off free throws for UA. 

ASU shot 42% in the second half, spearheaded by a combined 21 points from Martin and Edwards. 

The win marks the Sun Devils' first win over a ranked team this season.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×