Next week in events: Rock bands, religion and climate change

The State Press explores events from Feb. 24 through March 1

nextweek.jpeg

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018.     

Next week, students and other ASU community members can attend events from the grand opening of a research building to art exhibits. 

Feb. 24

Rock band Thrice will be at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe on Monday. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and tickets start at $25. The band's latest album was released in 2018. 

Carry the Love is an opportunity for religious students on campus to connect over shared values. The two-day event will focus on training and outreach and runs from 7-10 p.m. at ASU's Tempe campus. Those interested much register to attend. 

Feb. 25

The "I'm From Here" art exhibit showcases art created by those who are dealing with cultural erasure or generational identity crisis. The art shows the conflict between American culture and other identities. The exhibit's opening reception will run from 5-8 p.m. 

Speak Out is a bi-weekly event that runs until Feb. 28. It focuses on the Civil Rights Act, passed in 1964, and the discrimination that can still be found in current media and culture. The event will take place at ASU's West campus at the University Center building. 

Feb. 26

ASU Book Group: "Invitation to a Bonfire" by Adrienne Celt is an opportunity for ASU community members to gather and discuss the tale of a Soviet Union refugee navigating life in New Jersey. Author Adrienne Celt graduated from ASU in 2012. The book group meets monthly from noon to 1 p.m. at Piper Writers House at ASU's Tempe campus.

Nature@Noon presents "Drinking Rain: A Rattlesnake Mystery" will be held from noon to 1 p.m. at ASU's Biomimicry Center to discuss snake behavior, particularly their water-drinking habits. Speakers Konrad Rykaczewski and Gordon Schuett will give a hands-on presentation about their findings regarding snakeskin as it relates to fog harvesting. 

Feb. 27

Interplanetary Initiative Lab Grand Opening will run from 4-6 p.m. to celebrate the opening of ASU's newest research space. The grand opening will feature self tours, food and prizes. Michael Crow and Lindy Elkins-Tanton will speak from 5:30-5:45 p.m. 

Wild Rising by Cracking Art is a new exhibit at the Desert Botanical Garden. Visitors will see more than a thousand animal sculptures made from recyclable plastic. The exhibit will continue through May 10.

Feb. 28

Local to Global will offer presentations from various groups and individuals to encourage discussion and understanding regarding climate change. The event will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Farmer Education and Coor buildings at ASU's Tempe campus.  

Marcela Erives: Hermosa Belleza highlights Marcela Erives' sculpture work. The exhibit is open from noon to 5 p.m. at Step Gallery in downtown Phoenix. 

Feb. 29

ASU Open Door — Polytechnic will be open from 1-5 p.m. The event allows visitors to see the technology, such as flight and air traffic control simulators, used at ASU's Polytechnic campus. 

March 1

Variety of the Variation with Dexter Kennedy showcases the talent of Dexter Kennedy, who will be performing various organ sets. The concert will take place from 2:30-4 p.m. at ASU's Organ Hall and tickets can be purchased here. 

Indian School is a play that tells the story of a veteran mourning the death of his son. The play starts at 2 p.m. and ends at 4 p.m. Tickets are available online

Reach the reporter at kreinha3@asu.edu and follow @ReinhartKatelyn on Twitter.

×