This week in events: Art exhibits, Girl Scout cookies and more

The State Press looks into events for the week of Feb. 11 to Feb. 17

THIS WEEK

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Jan. 27, 2020.

With dozens of events taking place around ASU's various campuses, students can find anything from tastings to listening parties from Feb. 11 to Feb. 17. Here are some going on this week: 

Tuesday, Feb. 11

Artist Chloe Torri explores communication and relationships in the online age with her exhibit, Sugar Coated. Refreshments will be available at the exhibit's opening reception, which will run from 5-8 p.m. The display of artistic commentary will be showed until Feb. 14 and is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at ASU's Harry Wood Gallery in Tempe. 

Wednesday, Feb. 12

Harry Potter Movie Trivia will take place at Tempe Improv at 8 p.m. Participants can play solo or on teams to compete for over a thousand dollars worth of prizes. The trivia is digital so attendees must bring their smartphones or capable devices. 

ASU's Sustainability Solutions Festival gives visitors a chance to explore their environmental impact at this month-long event. Wednesday's event is a film screening of "The Biggest Little Farm" in Tempe. The festival features different events across ASU, a schedule can be found here

Thursday, Feb. 13

The Desert Attunement Symposium features ASU speakers who will discuss living in harmony with the desert. ASU faculty members who specialize in the arts, sciences and humanities will present on the Tempe campus and participate in question and answer sessions with the audience. Introductions begin at 9 a.m. and the event ends at 2:15 p.m.

Tame Impala 'The Slow Rush' Listening Party is free and open to anyone 21 or older to listen to Tame Impala's newest album. The event is held in partnership with Zia Records. Listeners will visit the Crescent Ballroom at 10 p.m. to celebrate the album's release. Attendees will get a chance to win or buy the record before the official release, according to the event page. 

Friday, Feb. 14

Literary enthusiasts can meet up with ASU's Reading Group: Geology, Race, Gender on the Tempe campus to discuss the intersection of the three topics throughout history. The event will feature speakers and an opportunity for ASU students to ask experts questions and communicate their interests. 

Spending $30 during Arizona Beer Week may result in a perfect beer and cookie pairing. At  Four Peaks Wilson Party Palace's tasting event, participants can explore Girl Scout cookies and beer combinations. The event includes free appetizers, live music and a culinary tour of six cookies paired with six beers. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the event starts at 6.  

Saturday, Feb. 15

Borderlands Produce Rescue offers community members fresh produce each month. ASU's Polytechnic campus will host the event at the House of Refuge. Entry is $12 and participants can shop for up to 70 pounds of produce for themselves, their friends and family members. The event is hosted by Produce on Wheels With-Out Waste, which disperses fresh produce around the state. The event goes from 8-11 a.m. 

Total Collapse: Clay in the Contemporary Past features experimental sculptures from various artists. The artwork is on display at the ASU Art Museum until June 27 and is free to visit. Artists include Ane Fabricius Christiansen, Armando Cortes and Kahlil Robert Irving. 

Sunday, Feb. 16

The Asian Street Food Pop Up Event is a Tempe-based event that will feature five different vendors that specialize in different types of Asian cuisine. Other vendors include local artists and craftsmen. Attendees can visit from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Spring Tuba Euphonium Day! is free and open to the public. The half-day of activities includes a reading session and performance masterclasses. The event will take place at ASU's Tempe campus and will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Monday, Feb. 17  

ASU's West campus will host a Rapid Resume Review that starts at 9:30 a.m. Students can visit Career and Professional Development Services to have their resume reviewed by a professional. Visits take 15 to 20 minutes, and students will receive feedback on how to improve their resumes. 

Thomas Knight: Works Designed for Your Living Room is an exhibit that starts on this day and runs until Feb. 21. It features large-scale oil paintings at ASU's Harry Wood Gallery from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Reach the reporter at kreinha3@asu.edu and follow @ReinhartKatelyn on Twitter.

×