Passion Projects: Adventurers Wanted Inc.

This ASU club gives tabletop roleplaying game fans a place to find their people

SPod_PassionProjects.jpg

Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020. 

Adventurers Wanted Inc. is a place for ASU students who love "Dungeons and Dragons" and other tabletop roleplaying games to find their community at ASU. 

Senior computer science major Aaron Sycamore is the club’s founder and current president, but when he arrived at ASU four years ago, he had never played a game of "Dungeons and Dragons." 

“I had watched D&D, specifically Acquisitions Incorporated, but other than that, I’d had no interaction with D&D before,” said Sycamore. “Luckily I was able to find two other people who had played D&D.” 

Four years later, the club has grown to more than 30 members who consistently show up each Friday to take part in D&D and several other game systems. The genre of games range from classic fantasy to gritty sci-fi to comedic one-shots like the Maid Role Playing Game that one member of the club was running last Friday. 

For some who take part in weekly tabletop role playing game night, it is just a fun way to play a game with some friends, but for others, a club like this can be a place of refuge. 

“It’s where people who never thought they’d find what they’re looking for have found a home,” said sophomore computer science major and junior officer Joshua Elkins.

Elkins has been playing D&D since he was a child and expressed a sentiment common to those who love the game.

“I’m enamored by fantasy. I’ve been that way since I was very young. So when I found out there was another way to experience that fantasy and that fiction, I was basically hooked from the beginning,” said Elkins.

State Press Play: Downtown disconnect 

After Hours: Raising LGBTQ voices

After Hours: Who is Jason Zuffranieri, 19-time 'Jeopardy!' champion?

State Press Play: How can the arts play a role in medicine?

Reach the reporter at kourada@asu.edu and follow @KateOurada on Twitter. 

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter. 

Kate OuradaPodcast Editor

Kate Ourada is in her 5th semester as the editor of the podcast desk and is doing her best to spread her love of audio journalism. She works in radio as a reporter and board operator. Kate has a passion for creative writing, her cat and making niche playlists for her friends.

×