ASU men's golf takes home third place at Amer Ari Invitational

Andersen sunk 17 birdies, tied for the best on the player leaderboard

20190914 Mason Andersen

ASU now-senior Mason Andersen lines up his ball before he tees off on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale.

No. 10 ASU men’s golf earned its second straight top-three finish and fourth of the season Saturday, taking home third place at the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii.

The Sun Devils turned in an impressive 828 (-36) final score at the Waikoloa Kings’ Course, finishing behind No. 19 Texas (827) and No. 1 Pepperdine (825).

ASU notched a season-high five eagles, which tied it for second among all teams. The team also tied for second in total birdies with 71.

Junior Mason Andersen put together his best performance of the season, finishing 13 under par with a final player score of 203.

The Chandler native had his best round on the final day of the tournament where he sunk seven birdies and tied with Pepperdine freshman William Mouw for first place on the player leaderboard.

Andersen recorded 17 birdies in total, which tied him for second in that category.

Freshman David Puig impressed in his second appearance as a Sun Devil, finishing eight under par and tying for second place in individual par-4 scoring average with a 3.87 (-4) average.

ASU finished in the top-five for par-3, par-4 and par-5 scoring average with final tallies of 3.05 (+3), 3.98 (-3) and 4.48 (-31) respectively.

Senior Chun (Kevin) An Yu was particularly sharp on par-5’s, tying for first among all golfers with a 4.17 (-10) average score.

The Sun Devils have now recorded two first place finishes, one second place and one third place out of six tournaments in the 2019-20 season.

ASU will have a little under a month to train before the team travels to Querencia, Mexico to compete in the Cabo Collegiate at Cabo del Sol's Golf Course beginning March 1.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×