Mike Bercovici leaves ASU football, joins Arizona Cardinals staff

The former Sun Devil QB joins Kliff Kingsbury to coach dual-threat QB Kyler Murray

20191231 Sun Bowl vs Florida State 0547

ASU freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels (5) talks with offensive assistant Mike Bercovici on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019, at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas. Bercovici is reportedly set to leave the Sun Devils to take a job with the Arizona Cardinals.

ASU football graduate assistant Mike Bercovici is leaving the program to join the Arizona Cardinals' staff in the NFL, Devils Digest reported Tuesday morning.

Bercovici played quarterback for ASU from 2012 to 2015. In his collegiate career, Bercovici threw for 5,332 passing yards and 42 touchdowns while rushing for 146 yards and six rushing touchdowns.

Bercovici's most iconic moment came at the end of ASU's matchup against USC in 2015, where he threw what became known as the "Jael Mary," which is a last-second touchdown pass to wide receiver Jaelen Strong that capped off a 38-34 upset.

In 2019, Bercovici joined ASU's coaching staff as an offensive graduate assistant.

Bercovici will join second-year head coach Kliff Kingsbury's staff with second-year quarterback Kyler Murray on the Cardinals. 

Bercovici's experience with sophomore quarterback Jayden Daniels, who threw for 2,748 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushed for 319 yards and three scores last season, may help with Murray's development as a dual-threat quarterback.

Murray racked up 3,722 passing yards while rushing for 544 yards, as well as throwing 20 passing touchdowns and rushing for four touchdowns in his rookie campaign.

READ MORE: Former Sun Devil quarterback Mike Bercovici sheds light on his time in the AAF

Upon leaving ASU, Bercovici spent time on the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers, the Cardinals and the San Diego Fleet of the now-defunct Alliance of American Football.

Reach the reporter at cvanligt@asu.edu and follow @Connor_VL on Twitter. 

×