ASU women's basketball's offense struggles in blowout loss to Oregon

After struggling offensively all night, the Sun Devils dropped their third straight game Sunday

women's basketball ASU v uofA.jpg
ASU sophomore forward Jayde Van Hyfte (32) looks to pass the ball to senior guard Robbi Ryan (11) in a Sun Devil's 76-75 win after three overtimes against the USC Trojans at Wells Fargo Arena, on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020.

No. 19 ASU women's basketball mustered only 15 points in the first half in a 79-48 loss at No. 3 Oregon Sunday, marking the Sun Devils' third straight defeat.

Scoring was few and far between in the first quarter as the Sun Devils (16-8, 6-6 Pac-12) put their first points on the board over four minutes into the game. A jumper from freshman forward Eboni Walker gave ASU its only points of the first quarter.

The Ducks (22-2, 11-1 Pac-12) then went on a 15-0 run led by 2019 John R. Wooden Award winner Sabrina Ionescu. Ionescu contributed six points, including a 3-pointer, during the span.

The scoring drought for the Sun Devils ended nearly 10 minutes after their first basket on a jumper from senior forward Jamie Ruden

After 20 minutes of play, the Sun Devils trailed the Ducks 27-15. None of the Sun Devil starters made a field goal in the first half.

The Sun Devils could never mount any sort of comeback as the Duck lead continued to grow until the final whistle.

The Sun Devils lost with an offensive effort that had no player in double figures. ASU scoring was led by senior forward Ja'Tavia Tapley and Walker with eight points each. 

Head coach Charlie Turner Thorne and her team will look to end their losing skid Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. MST in Tempe as the Sun Devils take on Washington State.

Reach the reporter at kbdyer2@asu.edu and follow @TheKamDyer on Twitter.

×