Video: Head Wraps with Zaria for Black History Month

Zaria hopes to spread awareness on the cultural significance of head wraps in Black and African communities

Head wraps.png
Members of Zaria showing their peers different head wrap styles on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020, at ASU's Secret Garden on the Tempe campus.

The sense of camaraderie was palpable on Saturday, Feb. 8, in ASU's Secret Garden. Zaria, a club within the Black African Coalition at ASU, kicked off Black History Month 2020 with their signature event, Head Wraps in the Park

Communications sophomore Victoria Whitehurst, interdisciplinary studies sophomore J'Ana Massey, public health sophomore Arianna Tillman, and Director of Community and Municipal Relations Kenja Hassan were among those who came together to both teach and learn about head wraps. 

Whitehurst said the wraps are a personal preference and a way to express themselves and their African American culture. 

"We are just showing women how to put their head wraps on in different styles," Whitehurst said. "And we are just discussing the significance of head wraps and what it means to them." 

Song: Take It Easy by Bad Snacks

Reach the reporter at rmkennedy@asu.edu or follow @kachelrennedy on Twitter. 

×