The Arizona Department of Health Services reported Saturday that there are now 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Arizona. 

According to their website, the department has tested over 150 people and the results of 50 tests are still pending. Over 100 tests have been ruled out, and the level of community spread in the state is still defined as "minimal" by ADHS. 

The number of cases is slowly growing as schools across the Valley cancel in-person classes to assist social distancing. Social distancing is a form of infection control in which public health officials limit the number of public gatherings to slow the spread of contagious diseases. 

Late Friday, UA announced that starting March 18 the school will transition all courses to online for the rest of the semester. 

Multiple grade school districts throughout the state have closed including Tempe Elementary School District No. 3, Scottsdale Unified School District, and Balsz School District

Gov. Doug Ducey declared a state of emergency in Arizona this week and released an executive order with measures to protect vulnerable populations and ensure insurance plans will cover necessary costs. 

READ MORE: Gov. Ducey issues declaration of emergency to combat COVID-19 spread

President Donald Trump and his administration declared a state of emergency Friday because of the coronavirus, and the House passed a relief bill overnight after Trump pledged to support it. 

The Trump administration also announced Saturday that travel restrictions to Europe have been expanded to the UK and Ireland. 

U.S. cases have risen to over 1,600, and 41 people have died in the U.S. from COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Worldwide, there are over 150,000 reported cases of COVID-19, over 5,000 deaths and over 74,000 recoveries. 

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu or follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 

×