New presumptive positive case of coronavirus in Arizona, officials say

The Arizona Department of Health Services is looking into the case to determine the cause of the spread

Coronavirus_Arizona.jpg

Graphic published on Friday, March 6, 2020.

A second presumptive positive test of COVID-19, or the coronavirus, was confirmed by the Arizona Department of Health Services Friday morning, marking the third case in the state and the second positive test this week. 

The case is under investigation to determine whether it is a result of person to person contact or community spread. The newest patient, who a press release describes as a woman in her 40s, is currently hospitalized.

One case was confirmed earlier this week as a result of travel, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services website. 

READ MORE: Presumptive case of coronavirus confirmed in Maricopa County

The first case of COVID-19 identified in Arizona was a member of the ASU community. This person has since recovered and the incubation period for anyone in contact with them is now over. 

So far in Arizona, only one case has been confirmed, and the two presumptive positive cases are waiting for confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

READ MORE: ASU tests remote classes in response to growing coronavirus concerns

Around 50 people have been tested and about 30 have been ruled out, according to the health department's website. The results of 15 cases are still pending. 

This case comes as the number of COVID-19 cases rises to over 100,000 worldwide

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu or follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 

×