Ducey appoints new member to ABOR, keeps another

Kathryn Hackett King and Karrin Taylor Robson fill open seats on the Arizona Board of Regents

Ducey.jpg
Gov. Doug Ducey addresses the crowd at a talk titled “The Future of Education in Arizona” on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020, at Coor Hall on the Tempe campus.

Gov. Doug Ducey appointed two members to the Arizona Board of Regents Wednesday, filling a vacant seat and adding a full-time employee. 

Kathryn Hackett King will fill the vacancy left by Jay Heiler while Karrin Taylor Robson will take a full-term position on the board that is responsible for presiding over the state's three public universities. 

King graduated from UA's law school in 2006 and has since concentrated her law practice in labor and employment litigation. She practices at BurnsBarton, and her expertise will "make her an ideal fit for this role," Ducey said. 

Before practicing at BurnsBarton, King served as Deputy General Counsel to the governor's office from 2015 to 2017.

Ducey reappointed Robson to the board, allowing her to complete a full-term. She was appointed previously in 2017 to fill the seat Greg Patterson left when he resigned.

According to a press release from ABOR, Robson's new duties are not concrete but ABOR Chair Larry Penley said her "commitment to civil discourse, democratic engagement and civic education have been highlights of her service on the board."  

Robson currently works as the board's secretary and chair of the Finance, Capital and Resources Committee. Previously, Robson served as vice president of Arizona Strategies, an organization advising developers on land-use policy.

The governor's office made both appointments official earlier today and Gov. Ducey tweeted that he was "pleased" to make the decision. 

Members of his staff congratulated the women, adding that they were excited to see what kind of change they would bring to public higher education in Arizona.

Reach the reporter at pjhanse1@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen on Twitter. 

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×