ASU gymnastics defeats rival No. 24 UA for the fourth year in a row

The Sun Devils scored their second-best beam score of the year in the win

20200117 gymnastics vs UC Davis 1765

ASU now-sophomore Juliette Boyer does a flip on the beam in a win against UC Davis on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

The Sun Devils continued their hot streak in Pac-12 play as they defeated rival No. 24 UA 196.525-196.300 Friday night.

ASU (6-6-1, 2-2-1 Pac-12) started the meet off on the right foot as they scored a 49.075 on bars, their third meet in a row scoring above a 49.000.

Sun Devil freshman Juliette Boyer continued her recent success as she tied her career-high on bars with a 9.875 in the first rotation.

Despite the Sun Devils successful start to the meet they were still down to the Wildcats after the first rotation. Senior Heather Swanson played a big role in developing that early lead for UA (5-7, 1-6 Pac-12) as she scored a season-high 9.850 on vault.

In the second rotation, graduate student Morgan Wilson and senior Jessica Ginn got the Sun Devils going with back-to-back season-highs on vault. Ginn scored a 9.825 and Wilson scored a 9.850.

All five Sun Devils scored at least a 9.800 in the second rotation and ASU finished with a team 49.225 on vault. This score extended the Sun Devils streak of scoring over a 49.000 on vault to six meets and gave ASU the lead at the halfway point.

Boyer and Wilson continued their career-nights on floor in the third rotation. Boyer tied her career-high with a 9.850 while, Wilson earned a new career-high on floor with a 9.850. 

In the fourth and final rotation, freshmen gymnasts Hannah Scharf and Gracie Reeves led the way for ASU as they both tied their career-highs on beam. Scharf scored a 9.875 while Reeves scored a 9.850.

Despite two UA gymnasts earning or tying career-highs and one gymnast earning a season-high on floor and the Wildcats recording a season best team score, the Wildcats could not overcome the Sun Devil’s performance on beam. 

ASU gymnastics will look to keep their win streak going when they take on Pittsburgh in their last home meet of the season on Sunday at 1 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at cfahrend@asu.edu and follow @chris_drop_ on Twitter.

×