ASU gymnastics sets multiple highs in win over Stanford

Three Sun Devil freshmen set career-highs

_MGL8973.jpg

ASU grad student Morgan Wilson finishes on the bars in a win against UC Davis on Friday, Jan 17, 2020 at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

After scoring their highest team total since 2006 in last week’s meet versus Washington, ASU gymnastics kept the momentum going in a 196.575-195.975 victory over Stanford in California on Monday night.

Just one week removed from winning Pac-12 Freshman Player of the Week, ASU freshman Hannah Scharf did not slow down in tonight’s meet versus Stanford as she scored a career-high 9.875 on bars.

Freshman Juliette Boyer also set a career-high 9.875 on bars. Lastly, junior Cairo Leonard-Baker closed out the opening rotation with a 9.925. 

The Sun Devils (6-6-1, 1-2-1 Pac-12) scored a 49.300 in bars, their highest bars total this season.

Stanford’s (0-13, 0-6) lone bright spot in the first rotation was junior Kyla Bryant, scoring a career-best 9.900 on vault.

In the second rotation, Scharf notched her second career-high of the day with a 9.900 on vault. Freshman Gracie Reeves quickly followed suit as she set a career-best 9.900 of her own directly after Scharf.

ASU finished the second rotation with a 49.225 team score on vault, its fifth consecutive meet in which they surpassed a 49.000.

Two Stanford gymnasts set or tied season-highs on bars. Sophomore Grace Waguespack scored a season-high 9.850, while sophomore Eve Micco tied her season-high with a 9.800. 

After the halfway point, the Sun Devils caught fire as five of the six gymnasts, including all three freshmen that competed, set or tied season or career highs on floor.

Reeves continued her strong performance on the night, as she tied her career-high on floor with a 9.775. Boyer also added her second career-high of the day with a 9.850 on floor. 

Scharf and senior Jessica Ginn both tied career-highs, with the former scoring a 9.875 and the latter scoring a 9.900. 

To top it off, Leonard-Baker came through with a season-high 9.925. 

The Sun Devils notched their highest event total for any event this season with a 49.350 on floor.

ASU struggled for the first time in a given event in the fourth and final rotation on beam, scoring just a 48.700.

Meanwhile, Stanford notched not only their best team floor performance of the season but also their best team floor score in 16 years with a 49.625.

Senior Kaylee Cole produced a career-high 9.900 in her final home floor routine as a Cardinal. Sophomore Morgan Hoang, Bryant and junior Taylor Lawson all set career-highs as they scored a 9.925, a 9.975 and a 9.925 respectively.

ASU will compete for the second time this week on March 6 where it will take on its rivals in No. 24 Arizona in Tucson at 7 p.m. MST.

Correction: A previous version of this story included an outdated caption using the former name of the Desert Financial Arena. It has been fixed to reflect the current name of the stadium.

Reach the reporter at cfahrend@asu.edu and follow @chris_drop_ on Twitter.

×