ASU men's golf dominates to earn first place at Cabo Collegiate

Three Sun Devils finished in the top 10 on the player leaderboard

Imani Randle Mens Golf

ASU junior Won Jun Lee tees off at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019.

No. 9 ASU men’s golf won its third tournament of the season on Tuesday, taking home first place at the Cabo Collegiate in Los Cabos, Mexico.

The Sun Devils dominated, producing an 832 (-20) final team score to finish eight strokes ahead of second place Texas A&M and 10 strokes ahead of third place Vanderbilt.

Freshman David Puig, sophomore Cameron Sisk and senior Blake Wagoner all finished with an individual score of 210 (-3) to place in the top 10 on the player leaderboard.

ASU was exceptional in stroke average, ranking first on par-3 and par-5 holes with averages of 3.09 (+7) and 4.57 (-26) respectively. The team also earned third place in par-4 average with a 4.03 (+4) final tally.

The Sun Devils amassed 59 birdies and four eagles, both of which ranked first among all competing teams.

Freshman Ryggs Johnston, who finished in the top 15, contributed 16 birdies which tied him for first place in the category.

Junior Mason Andersen, who was recently named Pac-12 Golfer of the Month for February, followed Johnston with 13 birdies as thetwo accounted for nearly half of the team total.

Wagoner collected two eagles, one of which was notched in the final round. Puig and Sisk accounted for one eagle apiece.

Apart from a sixth-place finish at the Tavistock Collegiate tournament in October, the Sun Devils have not finished below fourth in any competition this season.

ASU will have less than a week to train before heading to Chula Vista, California to compete in the Lamkin San Diego Classic at the San Diego Country Club starting March 9.

The Sun Devils will also be represented by senior Chun (Kevin) An Yu at the PGA Tour’s Arnold Palmer Invitational in Bay Hill, Florida, which starts March 5.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter.

×