ASU men's golf ties for second at Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic

The Sun Devils made 17 birdies and two eagles in the final round

20190914 Mason Andersen

ASU now-senior Mason Andersen lines up his ball before he tees off on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale.

No. 6 ASU men’s golf advanced four places in the final round Tuesday, finishing in a tie for second place at the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic in Chula Vista, California.

After finishing the first round tied for ninth, the Sun Devils put together a strong second round and collected 17 birdies and two eagles in the third to finish just four strokes behind tournament champion Tennessee.

ASU compiled an 860 (-4) final team score and earned third place in total birdies with 52, and tied for fourth in eagles with three.

The team was led by an impressive showing from sophomore Cameron Sisk, who finished in second place on the player leaderboard with a 210 (-6) individual score.

Sisk, a native of San Diego, took home first place in par-4 stroke average with a 3.73 (-8) final tally and led ASU with 16 birdies, tied for second among all golfers.

ASU also produced a 4.01 (+1) par-4 scoring average as a team, which was good for first place in the category with Sisk leading the way.

Junior Mason Andersen and freshman David Puig continued their strong play after turning in remarkable performances at the Cabo Collegiate earlier in March, combining for 71 total pars and helping ASU tie for third place in the category with 157 as a team.

Senior Alex del Rey, who contributed one of ASU’s three eagles, impressed on par-5 holes and finished tied for third in stroke average on those holes with a 4.50 (-6) final tally.

The Sun Devils have finished in the top-three in all four tournaments played this semester, including a first-place finish at the Cabo Collegiate.

ASU will look to continue its hot streak when it travels to Tucson to compete in the National Invitational Tournament at Omni Tucson National Resort on March 16.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter.

×