Despite canceled postseasons, ASU's winter coaches still awarded bonuses

The cancellations denied several winter teams from participating in postseason play

women's basketball Charli Turner Thorne

ASU women's basketball coach Charli Turner Thorne celebrates ASU's 55-47 victory over Oregon State on Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

On Thursday, ASU athletic director Ray Anderson said the University would honor the postseason bonuses in the contracts of all of its winter sports coaches even with the cancellation of all postseason play due to concerns of spreading COVID-19.

It seemed likely that the majority of ASU's winter sports teams were headed to the postseason prior to the NCAA canceling all winter and spring sports championships.

According to The Arizona Republic, men's basketball head coach Bobby Hurley could potentially see a bonus of $75,000, originally written in his contract for advancing to the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament. 

He was on the way to taking the program to its third consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, something the Sun Devils haven't accomplished since a stretch from 1961 to 1964. 

In what was thought to be a transition year, Hurley's team rallied from a rough start in non-conference play to eventually win seven consecutive Pac-12 games and earn the third seed in the conference tournament.

Women's basketball head coach Charli Turner Thorne could receive a bonus worth $10,000, originally written in for reaching the second round of the NCAA tournament. 

She lead the No. 25 Sun Devils to a 20-11 record and what would have been the program's seventh consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Anderson also rewarded hockey head coach Greg Powers and wrestling head coach Zeke Jones with bonuses of their own. 

Powers guided the Sun Devils hockey team to a 22-11-3 record in the what was only the team's fourth full season in the NCAA.

Jones helped ASU wrestling to its third Pac-12 championship in the last four years. Jones' Sun Devils upset the defending national champion No. 1 Penn State at Desert Financial Arena on Nov. 22.

The coaches of gymnastics, Jay Santos, and water polo,Todd Clapper, will also receive bonuses according to Anderson.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×