Remy Martin scores 22 as ASU men's basketball falls to USC in 71-61 loss

The Sun Devils were outscored 17-8 in an eight-minute stretch to end the game

men basketball.jpg
ASU junior guard Remy Martin (1) goes up against UCLA redshirt freshman guard Tyger Campbell on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020 at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. ASU defeated UCLA 84-66.

ASU men's basketball came up short down the stretch in a 71-61 loss to USC at the Galen Center on Saturday night.

Junior guard Remy Martin's 22 points on 8-for-18 shooting led all Sun Devils in scoring. 

But, Martin and redshirt senior guard Rob Edwards, who dropped 10 points, were the only Sun Devils (19-10, 10-6 Pac-12) who reached double digit scoring as they lost their second consecutive road game.

Four of USC's five starters reached double digits, with senior guard Jonah Mathews and redshirt senior guard Daniel Utomi scoring 23 and 19 points, respectively. 

Down 54-42 near the 13-minute mark of the second half, ASU scored 11 unanswered points to get within one of USC (21-9, 10-7) with 8:49 left.

But, ASU was outscored 17-8 for the rest of the game, with Martin accounting for all eight of ASU's points in that span.

The Trojans maintained a 39-28 rebounding advantage, including a 32-22 advantage on the defensive glass.

USC shot 50% from the field and 45% from deep compared to ASU's 32.8% shooting from the field and 24.1% from beyond the arc.

The Trojans managed to win despite committing 19 turnovers compared to the Sun Devils' 10.

ASU returns to Tempe to play Washington on March 5 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at cvanligt@asu.edu and follow @Connor_VL on Twitter. 

×