All in-person ASU summer school courses for sessions A and C will be held remotely due to safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University announced in an email Wednesday afternoon. 

University Provost Mark Searle said in an email sent to students that there will be no in-person teaching for sessions A and C, and that administrators are waiting until they can better assess if holding in-person session B classes is safe.

Searle said the school wants to provide students the same academic choices without putting anyone at risk.

"We want to ensure everyone has the opportunity to continue their studies, make up for a course you may have dropped, or get ahead so you might graduate sooner," Searle said in the email. "We also want to ensure you can do this in a safe environment."

All summer session A and C classes will be taught using Zoom and other online formats, according to the email. 

Session A and C classes at ASU begin on May 18, session A concludes on June 26, and session C classes conclude on July 10. Session B begins July 1 and ends Aug. 11. 

ASU is among multiple universities in Arizona and nationwide who are switching summer courses to remote learning over concerns of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

UA's novel coronavirus information page says it will also be holding all summer classes scheduled between May and the end of June remotely. UA is also waiting to reassess whether July and August classes should be remote as well.

GCU said on its information page that all summer classes have currently been moved online, and the university will be offering reduced tuition rates for summer courses to assist students.

NAU will be transitioning its summer courses that start in May online, a spokesperson said Wednesday. 

Duke University has transitioned its first session's summer classes online and canceled all in-person summer activities, according to The Chronicle. The University of Hawaii, Ohio State University and Western Michigan University among others will also transition all or some of their summer courses online.

Editor's Note: This story was updated to include NAU's plans for summer courses. 

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 
Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×