Nine books to read while social distancing

Echo writer Timothy Xayasomloth shares his picks for books to read while staying at home

green_xayasomloth_4-9_socialdistancingbookrecs.jpg

"But I’ll take it old school and recommend books to fill your time." Illustration published on Wednesday, April 22, 2020.

As COVID-19 spreads and we are left to practice social distancing at home, it seems that many of us turn to storytelling to keep us entertained. 

Some people watch movies. Others watch TV shows or play video games. But I’ll take it old school and recommend books to fill your time. 

People always tell me, “I want to read more, but I never have any time.” Those who are now social distancing might have more downtime these days to dive into a good book. 

However, how do you decide what to read? I’m here to offer you a few recommendations that can not only fill your time, but can introduce you to a new perspective or give you an escape.

The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams

After a breakup, people typically suggest going to the gym or deleting social media to cope. But in "The Bromance Book Club," main character Gavin Scott joins a book club with an unlikely group of romance genre aficionados. Like Gavin, this is my first experience with the romance genre, and I feel like the bar is set so high now that it can only go downhill from here. I love everything about this book, from the hilarious interactions with Gavin and his fellow book club members to the deep, layered conflicts that kept me up late reading to find out if this love story gets its happy ending.

Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong

In a similar vein to the work of Ta-Nehisi Coates, “Minor Feelings” is a powerful and sobering collection of essays. There were times when I wanted to close the book because it felt too real — Hong accurately and precisely captured and exposed all of the feelings and frustrations I had growing up as an Asian American. "Minor Feelings" isn't meant to scare or guilt anybody, but instead creates greater awareness of a perspective that is often neglected in America.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is one of my favorite writers, but instead of books like “American Gods” or “Neverwhere,” which are typically discussed when his name comes up, “The Graveyard Book” remains my favorite of his to this day. The story is a loose retelling of the famous “Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling, but follows a boy named Bod who grows up in a graveyard and is raised by ghosts and other creatures that roam the night. Gaiman crafts a story of adolescence, adventure and outsiders that’ll make you feel like you're being wrapped in a warm blanket.

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Relentless, emotional and a triumph. For those disappointed with the latest "Star Wars" trilogy and "Game of Thrones" series finale, I highly recommend "Saga" to help fill that void. The series is currently on hiatus, but there are nine volumes of material to go through. This comic series excels in never feeling exploitative or giving in to fan service. Vaughn literally does not care if your favorite character dies. Trust me. I’ve learned this lesson multiple times. You never feel cheated or see where the twists are coming, throwing you onto a roller coaster of emotions in the best way possible.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

This is a historical fiction novel that follows a man who is condemned to spend his life indoors in a hotel. Sounds fitting for the moment, right? However, what follows is a delightful tale about a man who experiences the world changing from a unique perspective. By the time I finished, I was devastated to leave behind all of these characters who felt real, as if they were sitting next to me, telling me their tales themselves.

Go Ahead in the Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest by Hanif Abdurraqib

I remember being a young boy and listening to A Tribe Called Quest for the first time. The beats, the melody, and the lyrics captivated me and still do, but I couldn’t exactly tell you why they are one of my favorite musical groups. Luckily, Abdurraqib is here to do all the hard work for me. He tells us the truth about the group. Among the glitz and glamour of hip-hop, Abdurraqib tells a personal journey of two childhood friends who used their talents to speak on issues that they felt needed to be addressed and the connection they’ve made with the fans who listened.

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

What happens when the idea of "getting the band back together" is applied to a fantasy world? Eames explores that idea by delivering an exuberant adventure that had me laughing on one page and tugged my heartstrings on the next. This book's greatest strength is its characters, who are diverse, hilarious, believable and compelling to read about. Pick this up to fall in love with a band of misfits who are way past their prime, but make it work for one last hurrah.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

You can honestly pick up any book by Schwab and not be disappointed. However, “A Darker Shade of Magic” was the series that propelled her to be a New York Times Best Seller, and rightly so. It follows protagonists Kell and Delilah as they traverse through different dimensions to stop an evil threat. “Harry Potter” meets “Avatar: The Last Airbender” in a magical, action-packed adventure that you'll immediately want to revisit when you finish.

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

“The Nickel Boys” is based on real-life events that took place at a reformatory school in Florida during the Jim Crow era. This is a heavy book; you’ll think about it months after you flip that last page. Whitehead is a master of his craft, and he sheds light on a story that was long hidden from American history but is still relevant and has parallels to our contemporary world.

These are just some of the books and authors I’ve read recently that I think are worth your time. However, there are literally millions of books to read, which means millions of stories, worlds and perspectives to visit. You may be stuck at home for now, but books can provide an escape for you. Happy reading!

Reach the reporter at txayasom@asu.edu and follow @its_tim_x on Twitter.

×