The ASU administration has again ignored the demands of thousands of students during the COVID-19 global pandemic by only offering its returning students an optional, nonrefundable credit of $1,500. 

This is not the refund we have been asking for but merely a meager concession as a result of widespread discontent. The credit simply secures $1,500 for the University itself, not the students. In addition, the students are given a hard deadline of April 15 to move out of their housing.

The United Voices for ASU USGT coalition believes It is not safe to have students move around during a global pandemic. In fact, students moving back to their homes via air travel and other methods of transportation are being put at a higher risk of contracting the virus than they would self-quarantining in their current housing. This deadline begs for students to conglomerate in closed spaces, an endangerment of student life and directly contradicts the stay-at-home order imposed in Arizona.

We formally demand the University reassess the situation and the decision it has made. Students deserve actual refunds — they did not ask for their money to simply be refunded back into the pockets of the University.

Additionally, in regard to the hotspots and WiFi being offered to students for their online classes, it is unclear just how many of these resources are available for students, and we believe that the effort to reach out to students about this resource has thus far been insufficient. Students can request these resources on the ASU library website.

We believe the University’s handling of these events is unacceptable and that the University takes action accordingly. As a diverse coalition of students running for USGT, we want to make it clear that these decisions impact the poor, working-class and marginalized sectors of the student population the most. They should not be left behind during these times of crisis, as they have been time and time again. 

Signed,

United Voices for ASU

Alexia Isais, Daniel Lopez, Bridget Saidu, Sebastian Miscenich, Yamilet Nunez Ibanez, Diane Solorio and Luz Granados Jarquin. 

Editor’s note: The opinions presented in this letter to the editor are the author’s and do not imply any endorsement from The State Press or its editors. This letter to the editor was submitted by United Voices for ASU.

Alexia Isais previously worked as an opinion columnist for The State Press.

Reach the authors at amisais@asu.edu

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to  opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 500 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×