A rundown of the 2020 USG Polytechnic candidates

An unopposed ticket is hoping to bring conversations of diversity and an updated calendar

USG_Polytech.jpg
Illustration published on Wednesday, April 8, 2020.

There is only one ticket running for the executive offices of Undergraduate Student Government Polytechnic and five schools with representatives in the campus Senate. 

The executive ticket

The ticket has Troy Anderson for president, Hannah Stirewalt for vice president of services and Brandon Dixon for vice president of policy. 

The ticket's top priorities are diversity and inclusion. To do both, they hope to expand events to every niche and keep up with an outreach calendar.

Anderson, the presidential candidate and current vice president of policy, said that the ticket's experience campaigning during coronavirus, by updating an online calendar and using other digital tools, will help them next year. 

"The adaptation now will help us later," Anderson, a junior studying political science and philosophy, said, adding that they will continue to update the online calendar next year as well. 

In addition the calendar, the ticket hopes to represent student interests by putting products like tampons, condoms, sunscreen and hand sanitizer in more than one accessible location.

"Our executive branch will certainly be motivating the Senate to pass resolutions regarding student wellness," Anderson said. 

With an emphasis on diversity, the ticket announced that once elected, they will host biweekly meetings with minority groups on campus.

"We will encourage students who identify as part of a minority group to run for office in upcoming student government elections," the campaign posted.

Anderson along with Dixon, the candidate for vice president of policy and the current Senate president, agreed that starting a conversation and listening will lead to effective policy.

"By garnering feedback from groups that historically at our campus have not been as engaged as we would like, and then using that feedback to create policies and re-evaluate University policies with the other VPPs across the four campuses will create change," Dixon, a sophomore studying management, wrote in an email referencing the results of the last USGP election.

Anderson said that his ticket would be available via Zoom during the campaign period and beyond to create a "sense of community," he said.

"We originally had a long and elaborate campaign plan that involved t-shirts, social media, and a lot of outreach," Dixon wrote in an email.

The ticket said that they are glad there is no competition, but they wish that there was a way they could showcase their ideas to the Poly campus that would make their peers excited to vote.

"It's somewhat sad that we will not get to compete, showcase these attributes, and feel the excitement of a contested campaign," Dixon wrote in an email.

Senators

The W. P. Carey School of Business has two seats. The candidates running are Andrew Munguia and Gianelly Esquer.

Barrett, The Honors College, the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts and the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering all have two seats with no candidates running.

The Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College has one seat with no candidates running.

USGP has three at large positions with no candidates running. 

Campaigning began on March 30 and will end on April 14 when voting begins. Students will vote digitally on April 14 and 15 and results will be announced on April 16. 

Reach the reporter at pjhanse1@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen on Twitter. 

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×