ASU men's basketball's Alonzo Verge Jr. declares for NBA draft

The guard was named Pac-12's Sixth Man of the Year this season

20200222 men's basketball vs oregon state

ASU then-junior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. (11) hypes up the crowd during a game against Oregon State on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Beavers 74-73.

ASU men's basketball junior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. has declared for the NBA draft this summer, becoming the third Sun Devil looking to hear their name called along with redshirt junior forward Romello White and junior guard Remy Martin

The Chicago native was found on the entry list of players that have declared for the draft, but he has not made a formal announcement about the decision.

Verge Jr. earned the Pac-12's Sixth Man of the Year honor after a year in which he averaged 14.6 points, 2.3 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game in 28 appearances.

Verge Jr. scored 20 or more points in seven games despite averaging only 26.8 minutes per contest.

According to NCAA rules, Verge Jr. has until June 3 to decide if he wants to return to ASU for his senior season or test his chances in the draft. 

Verge Jr.'s most memorable performance came in a blowout loss to St. Mary's, where he scored 43 points off the bench, accounting for over three-fourths of the team's points that night.

In lieu of the potential absence of Martin, White and Verge Jr. next season, five-star recruit Joshua Christopher and four-star recruit Marcus Bagley will be the program's two newest members in the fall.

Christopher is the highest-ranked recruit to commit to ASU since James Harden back in 2007.

ASU head coach Bobby Hurley also landed transfers Luther Muhammad from Ohio State and Holland Woods from Portland State, but both players will likely have to sit out a year due to transfer requirements. 

ASU went 20-11 (11-7 Pac-12), including a 13-3 home record and had won eight of their last 11 games before the cancellation of the remainder of the season due to the Novel Coronavirus.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×