ASU men's basketball lands five-star prospect Joshua Christopher

The guard is the highest-rated recruit the program has landed since James Harden

_MGL1736.jpg

ASU Men's basketball team rings the bell after a win at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019. 

Five-star prospect Joshua Christopher announced his commitment to ASU men's basketball, the Mayfair High School senior announced on Twitter Monday night.

The shooting guard choose ASU over schools such as UCLA, USC, Missouri and Michigan.

Christopher is ranked in the top 10 on multiple recruiting rankings, including being seventh on 247Sports' board and tenth on ESPN's board.

He marks the best recruit the program has landed since James Harden in 2007, when he became the first five-star prospect to ever commit to the school.

Christopher averaged 23.8 points per game and eight rebounds per game on 46% shooting in his career at Mayfair High School.

He visited ASU on Jan. 18, where he sat in on the Sun Devils's 83-64 win over Utah.

The addition of Christopher comes in a time of need for the program, as the team could end up losing nine players from last year's roster from graduation, transferring or declaring for the NBA Draft. This list includes guards Remy Martin and Rob Edwards, as well as forward Romello White.

Read More: Four ASU men's basketball players announce intentions to leave program

Christopher joins four-star prospect Marcus Bagley as part of their 2020 class, who averaged 20 points per game in two years at Sheldon High School in Sacramento, California.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×