How ASU football players fared in the 2020 NFL Draft

Eno Benjamin and Brandon Aiyuk were drafted, while other Sun Devils signed with NFL teams after the draft

football vs UA 0819

ASU junior running back Eno Benjamin (3) celebrates after scoring a rushing touchdown in the second half of the Territorial Cup on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

Many ASU football players spent this past weekend waiting to hear their name called in the NFL Draft, two former Sun Devils heard just that.

Former ASU running back Eno Benjamin joined wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk as the only Sun Devils taken in the 2020 NFL Draft, and five others signed as undrafted free agents.

Benjamin finished his career as the seventh-highest career rusher in ASU history, amassing 2,867 rushing yards in his three seasons as a Sun Devil. Benjamin will stay in Arizona after being selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the seventh round with the 222nd overall pick.

Aiyuk was taken with the 25th overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers, making him the highest-drafted Sun Devil since Terrell Suggs was taken with the 10th overall pick in 2003.

Aiyuk will join the Super Bowl runner-up receiving corps of Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne. With 1,192 receiving yards in his senior year, Aiyuk led the team. Aiyuk also led the team with 672 total return yards, giving him the sixth most all-purpose yards in the nation.

ASU was the only school in Arizona to have a player selected. Eleven of the 12 Pac-12 schools had players selected with 32 total selections, giving the conference the third-highest total behind only the SEC and Big Ten. UA was the only Pac-12 institution without a player selected.

While only two Sun Devils were drafted this weekend, five more began their NFL journeys, agreeing to deals with teams as undrafted free agents. 

The Tennessee Titans signed three former Sun Devils including linebacker Khaylan Kearse-Thomas, tight end Tommy Hudson and wide receiver Kyle Williams

Kearse-Thomas ended his redshirt senior year with 66 tackles and two interceptions. Kyle Williams made 45 receptions in the 2019 season, giving him the second most catches, only behind Aiyuk. Hudson, the third Sun Devil turned Titan, only caught 10 passes in his redshirt senior season but his 6-foot-5 255 lbs frame makes him a valuable asset as a blocker.

Cornerback Kobe Williams signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. With 10 pass breakups and 56 tackles, Williams was second in each category for ASU cornerbacks.

The fifth Sun Devil to sign thus far is center Cohl Cabral. Cabral allowed only one sack all last season. Other than the sack, he did not allow another hit on the quarterback in 2019.

Each former Sun Devil will look to build on the success they had in Tempe to their professional franchises. Punter and Ray Guy Award semi-finalist Michael Turk will look to sign with a team in the upcoming days.

Reach the reporter at kbdyer2@asu.edu and follow @TheKamDyer on Twitter.

×