All except for select classes during ASU's summer session B will be held online to maintain social distancing measures that prevent the spread of COVID-19, University Provost Mark Searle said Wednesday.

In an email to students, Searle said that except for certain courses that "do not lend themselves to remote instruction," classes will be held online using ASU Sync, which is the University’s Zoom program, ASU Online and ASU iCourses.

In the email, Searle outlined safety protocols that will be implemented for in-person summer courses. Classrooms will accommodate physical distancing measures, and students have been asked to complete health screenings before entering the classroom. 

The screenings, according to ASU Health Services' website, says students should ask themselves a series of questions outlined by the CDC to determine if they are at risk of having or having been exposed to COVID-19. The website also said that some buildings will have screeners stationed at the entrance.

The University is currently, "strongly recommending face coverings in classrooms," and will upate students before July 1 if they are mandatory.

"ASU continues to monitor federal and state public health recommendations  and will implement appropriate measures as necessary by July 1," Searle said. "This process will also help us better assess how best to accommodate  students in the fall semester as we continue our planning to resume teaching and discovery activities on campus."

ASU had previously decided April 1 to move all summer session A and C courses online and then wait to make a decision about session B as they monitored the current circumstances.  

READ MORE: ASU extends remote learning through summer sessions A, C

Searle announced in an April 30 email that ASU plans to continue in-person classes in the fall. Searle also said that there may be changes, such as limiting classes to 30 students to accommodate social distancing measures. 

ASU's decision mostly mirrored other Arizona universities who initially transitioned summer courses starting in May and waited to reassess classes starting later on.

UA President Robert C. Robbins announced May 1 that all summer classes will be held remotely, but the university also plans to reopen in the fall. NAU decided that summer courses held before June 30 will be in a virtual format, and they also plan to reopen for the fall semester.

READ MORE: Smaller in-person classes, hybrid courses possible for ASU come Fall 2020

GCU moved all summer courses online in an initial March 27 decision. They announced May 6 that although the school expects in person classes to resume in the fall, they will give students the option to take courses online through the semester or the entire 2020-2021 academic year. 

ASU's session A and C classes start May 18. Session B begins July 1 and ends Aug. 11. 

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter. 
Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×