ASU athletics has 12 teams earn NCAA Academic Progress Recognition honors

The mark is a new school record, with the previous high being set in 2017-18

20180208 Sparky celebrating

Sparky celebrates ASU's last-second 80-78 win over the USC Trojans on Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

ASU athletics had a school-record 12 teams score within the top 10% nationally in the NCAA's 2018-19 Academic Progress Rate results, the organization announced Tuesday.

Among the teams landing in the top 10% for ASU are men’s and women’s basketball, women’s swimming and diving, men's and women’s tennis, women's beach volleyball, women’s cross country, women’s soccer, men’s and women’s golf, women’s gymnastics and women’s water polo.

Scores within the top 10% ranged between 987 to 1000.

"I think it reflects the hard work that is happening comprehensively inside of Sun Devils Athletics," said Andrea Lore, associate athletic director for student and staff development. "It's a reflection of the strength of their athletic performance."

Lore, who has been working with student-athletes for the past 18 years, leads a staff compromised of 14 full-time workers and four graduate student workers committed to improving the academic performance of the athletes.

"Our academic coaches have a really close relationship with the different sports that they oversee." Lore said

Lore's philosophy with student-athletes is an open-minded ideology aimed at finding what skills a particular student needs most to succeed. She describes the approach as an analytical way of thinking.

"Anything is possible for somebody if you can figure out where they are, what they know how to do, what skills are missing and then teach them what's missing so that they can be successful," Lore said.

Within the Pac-12, ASU finished second in total teams in the top 10% behind Stanford, who had 16 of its teams meeting the threshold.

ASU previously had eight teams make the top 10% in 2017-18, which was its best mark before 2018-19.

Reach the reporter at kbriley@asu.edu and on Twitter @KokiRiley.

×