ASU athletics to allow voluntary activities starting June 15

The move was made in conjunction with the Pac-12 conference, which released a set of guidelines Tuesday

20170316 NCAA coronavirus

The NCAA logo is pictured in the second half of a game between the Northwestern Wildcats and the Vanderbilt Commodores during the first round of the 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament on March 16, 2017, at Vivint Smart Home Arena in Salt Lake City.

ASU athletics will resume in-person voluntary workouts after the Pac-12 announced it would allow all student-athletes to return to voluntary workouts beginning June 15, the department said in a statement Tuesday. 

This announcement comes less than a week after the NCAA Division I Council voted to allow voluntary offseason activities for all Division I sports beginning June 1.

"Voluntary workouts may be supervised only by strength and conditioning staff, and no coaches are allowed to direct or observe the workouts," Sun Devil Athletics said in the statement. "SDA is establishing protocols that will be communicated before June 15 and closely adhered to as we welcome student-athletes back to campus in phased groups over the next few months."

The Pac-12 will, "allow for each university to determine whether and how to open its sporting facilities in accordance with relevant county and state guidelines," the conference's release said.

"As states have either already opened or begin to open up access to parks, gyms and other training facilities, student-athletes should have the option at this time to be in, what for many, will be a much safer environment on campus, where they can have access to the best available health, well-being and training support," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in the release.

The Pac-12's Medical Advisory Committee released five sets of guidelines and protocols for safe resumption of activities: guidelines for returning to campus, returning to athletic facilities, facility-specific considerations, returning to exercise and responses to infections or presumed infections.

Guidelines for returning to campus include limiting contact, including having no known contact with a person who displayed symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days before arriving on campus. If players are flying back to campus, they are advised to isolate for seven days before returning to athletic facilities.

Upon return to athletic facilities, individuals must be "fever and symptom free", undergo pre-participation evaluations, lab testing and wear face coverings at all times. Schools will also set up contact tracing systems.

Individuals will also have their symptoms and temperature checked prior to admittance to athletic facilities, including weight rooms, locker rooms, training rooms and dining areas. All food must be provided to-go and all facilities will be kept at a limited capacity.

"The Pac-12 decision was informed by a comprehensive set of best practice guidelines and protocols established by the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee," the release said. "The Medical Advisory Committee includes a cross-section of the world's leading infectious disease experts, physicians, researchers and trainers connected to Pac-12 universities."

The NCAA's voluntary period will last until June 30. 

Reach the reporter at ancoil@asu.edu or follow @anc2018 on Twitter.

×