Active COVID-19 cases within ASU community continue decreasing

Tempe police issued 10 party citations this weekend, and five were student-related

coronavirus ASU SP.jpg

Graphic published on Sunday, March 15, 2020.

Active COVID-19 cases within the ASU community have declined by 10 to a total of 81 cases among students and employees, according to a University update Monday night.

Active student cases have decreased to 70 since Thursday's update, and active employee cases remain at 11. 

There are 56 active cases among students off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area, and 14 students are in isolation on the Tempe campus. No active student cases are on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.   

ASU has reported 2,101 cumulative cases within its community since Aug. 1. Students comprise 2,052 of those cumulative cases and employees make up 49.

Cumulative cases increased by 24 since Thursday when the University reported 2,077 cumulative cases. 

According to the update, 2,294 students and 165 employees who had previously tested positive for the coronavirus have been cleared to return to campus.

The University has collected approximately 98,909 tests from students and employees since Aug. 1. According to the update, it has tested 72% of on-campus students and 32% of off-campus students.

The ASU community's percent positivity rate is roughly 2.12%, using the cumulative number of positive results as the numerator and the total number of tests collected as the denominator. The percent positivity rate represents the level of transmission of the virus and shows if the testing is effective.  

Random test results from Oct. 18-24 show three on-campus students tested positive, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.41%. Off-campus students who were selected for random testing returned eight positives, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.41%. No employees tested positive through random testing during that period.  

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 801 new cases Monday. According to data from ASU's Biodesign Institute, about 9.4% of COVID-19 tests administered across the state over the past seven days returned positive. Data from the COVID-19 Tracking Project show new cases and hospitalizations are continuing to increase in Arizona.

According to a spokesperson from the Tempe Police Department, 10 party citations were issued from Oct. 23-25, with five being ASU student-related. Only two ASU student-related citations were issued the previous weekend, from Oct. 16-18.

Internal tracking of ADHS ZIP code data of the ZIP codes with ASU campuses — 85281, 85004, 85306 and 85212 along with the 85282 ZIP code in Tempe — done by The State Press shows cumulative cases have increased by 87 since Thursday. 

The biggest growth in cases since Thursday occurred in the two Tempe ZIP codes, with 29 new cases being reported in 85282 and 28 new cases in 85281. The 85212 ZIP code, where the Polytechnic campus is located, reported 16 new cases. The 85004 and 85306 ZIP codes had under 10 new cases reported in the four-day span.

The University does not specify if there have been any hospitalizations or deaths of ASU students or faculty in its report.  

Reach the reporter at wmyskow@asu.edu and follow @wmyskow on Twitter. 

Wyatt MyskowProject Manager

Wyatt Myskow is the project manager at The State Press, where he oversees enterprise stories for the publication. He also works at The Arizona Republic, where he covers the cities of Peoria and Surprise.

×