ASU reports increase in active COVID-19 cases after weeks of decline

Active student cases off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area have increased by 10 since last Thursday's update

coronavirus ASU SP.jpg

Graphic published on Sunday, March 15, 2020.

Active COVID-19 cases within the ASU community increased to a total of 129 as of Oct. 12, according to an update released Monday.

The total number of active cases among students has increased by six since last Thursday's update when the University reported there were 115 active cases. Active student cases have increased to 121, and active employee cases have increased to eight.

There are 87 active student cases off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area, 28 in isolation on the Tempe campus and the remaining six cases are on the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses. 

ASU reported there have been 1,996 cumulative cases in the ASU community since Aug. 1. Students make up 1,953 of the cumulative cases, and employees account for 43 cases. 

Cumulative cases have increased by 33 since Thursday's reported cumulative total of 1,963 cases.

ASU has collected approximately 83,644 tests from students and employees since Aug. 1. The University has tested 67% of on-campus students and 27% of off-campus students since the start of the semester, according to the update. 

The ASU community's percent positivity rate is roughly 2.3%, using the number of positive results as the numerator and the total number of tests collected as the denominator. The percent positivity rate can tell you the level of transmission of the virus and if the testing is effective. 

Since Aug. 27, the University has conducted 15,980 random tests of students and employees, 2,854 of them from Oct. 4-10.

Random test results from Oct. 4-10 show three on-campus students tested positive, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.49%. Tests of off-campus students returned eight positives, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.49%. Zero employees tested positive with a random test over that seven day period.

The University also reported Monday 54 students and no employees had been rolled off the active case list, therefore, meeting guidelines to return to campus. The University does not require those who test positive to then test negative before returning to in-person activities on-campus or in the community. 

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 475 new positive coronavirus cases and zero new deaths Monday, bringing the state totals to 226,050 total cases and 5,759 deaths across the state. 

Since Friday, cases in the 85281 zip code, where the Tempe campus is located, have increased by over 40, according to internal tracking done by The State Press. Students who get tested outside of an ASU testing facility are only recommended to report results to the University. 

Reach the reporter at pjhanse1@asu.edu and follow @piperjhansen on Twitter. 

Piper HansenDigital Editor-in-Chief

Piper Hansen is the digital editor-in-chief at The State Press, overseeing all digital content. Joining SP in Spring 2020, she has covered student government, housing and COVID-19. She has previously written about state politics for The Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol Times and covers social justice for Cronkite News.

×