ASU football game versus Colorado canceled due to positive COVID-19 cases in program

It is the second game on the Sun Devils' schedule to be canceled this season

Sun Bowl Feature

ASU captains line up for the coin toss before the Sun Bowl on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019, at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas.

ASU football's upcoming game against Colorado, which was scheduled to take place on Saturday, Nov. 21, has been canceled due to a COVID-19 outbreak within ASU's program.

"We regrettably have to invoke the Pac-12's football game cancellation policy for this week's game at Colorado due to positive COVID-19 cases among student-athletes and staff," ASU Vice President for University Athletics Ray Anderson said in a statement Sunday. "The cancellation of another game is very difficult to accept for all of us, but it continues to be the right decision under the circumstances. The health, safety and welfare of our student-athletes is our number one priority and will continue to be at the forefront of every decision."

ASU, who is 0-1 after losing its opening game of the season against USC, canceled yesterday's game against Cal due to multiple ASU players and coaches testing positive for COVID-19.

"We continue to take every precaution to safeguard the health and welfare of our student-athletes and staff, in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee's procedures," Anderson said in the statement. "Those with positive test results and those in contact tracing protocols are in isolation and receiving the appropriate medical care.

"We will continue to monitor our testing results and stay in close communication with our University, local public health officials and the Pac-12 Conference."

Due to Pac-12 roster requirements, ASU was unable to properly field a team of at least 53 available scholarship players for Saturday's game against Cal, effectively forcing ASU to cancel the game and is the "same situation" for its upcoming game against Colorado.

"We have consulted with the Conference and Colorado officials and have decided to make this prompt announcement so alternative scheduling options can be considered in the overall interests of the Conference and our peer student-athletes and coaches," Anderson said in the statement. 

The program announced Friday head coach Herm Edwards was among the coaches who tested positive for COVID-19. 

The cancellation of this upcoming week's game against Colorado means that ASU, assuming no more cancellations arise, will have four games remaining to play in 2020, with the next potential game coming on Nov. 28 against Utah.

Each of Utah's first two games this season has been canceled. They are slated to play USC on Nov. 21.

Reach the reporters at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×