Devils Prospects: A recap of National Signing Day, what's to come for Sun Devil Athletics

Multiple athletes signed their National Letter of Intent on or after Nov. 11, officially welcoming them to Tempe for fall 2021

nghi_tran_asu_recruiting.jpg

"Devils Prospects: Promising players found by ASU recruiting." Illustration published on Monday, Sept. 14, 2020.

After recruiting amid or before the COVID-19 pandemic, ASU officially inked a number of recruits to Tempe on or after last Wednesday's National Signing Day, the first day an athlete can sign the National Letter of Intent with a college. 

National Signing Day brought some fresh recruits for many sports, including basketball, baseball and volleyball.

Here's what to expect from the class of 2021.

Men's basketball

Bobby Hurley's squad will see the introduction of two players next fall, including Hargrave Military Academy's William Felton and Dream City Christian High School's Demari Williams. 

For Felton, he is excited for what is to come next fall.

"I am excited," Felton said. "I can't wait to be a part of the team and what it has to offer."

While there are currently only two recruits in the class of 2021 for Hurley's squad, they are eager to start their careers in Tempe next fall. 

Women's basketball

As of Nov. 12, two women's basketball players have officially signed their National Letters of Intent to play for coach Charli Turner Thorne next season. 

Jade Melbourne, a point guard from Traralgon, Victoria, Australia will join 4-star recruit Meg Newman in Tempe in 2021. 

Melbourne, a 5-foot-10 guard, averages 11.4 points and 4.3 rebounds a game. She also participated in Basketball Victoria's U20 team that won the Australian championship last season. 

Newman is the No. 33 ranked prospect in the class of 2021 for women's basketball according to ESPN. 

Baseball

ASU baseball signed 11 players to join their team in the fall of 2021, including the Perfect Game's No. 1 player out of Minnesota, Will Rogers.

Also to join the Sun Devil roster is Scottsdale's Wes Kath. 

Kath is a top-five third baseman in the country and the second-ranked player in Arizona. The No. 10 prospect in Arizona, shortstop Barrett Skaugrud will join Kath on the squad. 

In addition to local talent, the team will welcome Californian Cameron Magee, who is following in the footsteps of his brother, Brandon, who is a former All-Pac-12 ASU football player. 

Other signees for ASU baseball include left-handed pitcher Caden Vire, outfielder Ivan Brethowr, right-handed pitcher Max Miller, outfielder Trey Rucker, right-handed pitcher Mat Olsen and third baseman Jacob Tobias.

"We could not be more pleased with the group assembled in this class," coach Tracy Smith said. "We feel like this class is another strong addition to the type of person and talent we are looking for when building our roster at Arizona State."

Softball

Head coach Trisha Ford announced the additions of pitcher Mac Morgan, infielder Cydney Sanders and catcher Liliana Thomas will join the team in the fall of 2021 for the 2022 season. 

Ford said she is excited about the potential of her new signings, despite the size of the incoming group. 

"This class is small, but will have a huge impact in the growth of our program," Ford said.

Volleyball/Beach Volleyball

The Sun Devils have added two to its beach volleyball squad and four to its indoor volleyball team. 

Sanja Tomasevic has added four new student-athletes to her squad, saying it is the best recruiting class she has had in five years. 

"We are super excited to have the highest-ranked class in our recent history," Tomasevic said. 

Meadow Cooper, Allie Gray, Geli Cyr, and Andi Kreiling will join the Sun Devils indoor volleyball team after signing their NLIs last Wednesday. 

The group includes three AVCA Under Armour All-Americans and four AVCA Under Armour All-American All-Region honorees. 

Beach Volleyball head coach Brad Keenan has welcomed Kaitlyn Winkelman from Lone Tree, Colorado and Anya Pemberton from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Both will join the team next season. 

Golf

Men's golf head coach Matt Thurmond announced the signing of three golfers this past Wednesday which includes highly rated Scottsdale native Preston Summerhays. 

Summerhays competed at the 2020 U.S. Open at Winged Foot, finishing three strokes below the cut. Summerhays joins Kiko Francisco Coelho and Josele Ballester as the signees for Sun Devil Golf.

For the women's team, 2020 AIA Division ll state champion Calynne Rosholt signed. 

Gymnastics

Head coach Jay Santos added two to the roster come fall 2021 on National Signing Day. 

Mallory Marcheli from Richmond, Texas and Alex Theodorou from Chandler, Arizona will join Santos' squad next season. 

Theodorou has won 11 state and regional championships and Marcheli qualified as a Junior International Elite gymnast at the Brestyans Elite qualifier in 2018. 

Soccer

The Sun Devils announced the signing of two goalkeepers, one defender and two forwards on Wednesday. 

The signees include Birta Gudlaugsdottir, Lauren Kirberg, Kennedy Mayo, Caetlyn Johannes, and Julia Ortega.

Women's tennis

Giulia Morlet of France signed with the Sun Devils on Nov.11. 

"We are super excited to add Giulia to our program," associate head coach Matt Langley said. "Giulia is a hard-working and highly motivated individual and we believe she will thrive."

Morlet is the only tennis player to sign for the Sun Devils so far in this signing window. 

Triathlon

Head coach Cliff English announced the signing of Alexe Coursol, MJ Lopez Aguirre, Camille Buchanan and Evan Welch. 

The four triathlete prospects will join the four-time defending national champion triathlon team for the 2021-22 season. 

Wrestling

ASU wrestling signed four top wrestling prospects in the country following National Signing Day. 

The program announced the signings of the No. 1 pound-for-pound recruit in the country, Richard Figueroa.

Head coach Zeke Jones has signed the No. 1 pound-for-pound wrestler three out of the past seven years.

Cael Valencia, Max Wilner and Carter Dibert round out this year's signing class for the Sun Devils.

Lacrosse

Head coach Tim McCormack announced the signing of 11 student-athletes for their 2021 signing class. 

"We are very excited to welcome the class of 2021 to Tempe next fall," McCormack said. "This is a well-balanced and competitive group of young women."

The Sun Devils lacrosse program will welcome Alexa Ford, Madison Riley, Helen Park, Bella Ingrao, Maddelena Signorile,  Anna Thornton, Annie Haley, Tate Stokesberry, Mckenna Riley, Katie Vahle and Lexi Guerin. 

Water polo

Head coach Todd Clapper announced the signing of Stevilyn Griffin, Ellie Travisano, Vanda Baksa and Bianca Becerra.

The Sun Devils also signed two goalies for fall 2021, Molly Ostrowski and Marie Rudasics. 

Track and field/cross country

Sun Devil track and field head coach Dion Miller announced the signing of three new athletes for their 2021 track and field/cross country team. The signings include Faith Bender, Dylan James and Adriana Tatum. 

"This year's signing class went well," Miller said. "Overall I think the recruiting went well considering all of the adjustments we had to make between having no contact and communicating over Zoom and phone calls."

Swim and Dive

The Sun Devils' swim and dive team announced the signing of six athletes to its team for 2021.

The men's team signed Léon Marchand, who comes from France and holds the country's record in the 400 IM. 

"Léon Marchand will give us a very strong presence in the IM and breaststroke events at the PAC-12 and NCAA levels," head coach Bob Bowman said in the announcement. "He has very high goals internationally and is one of the world's best junior swimmers." 

The women's team signed five athletes for its 2021 class: Charli Brown, Angelina Harris, Izabella Adame, Ileeya Losey and Hana Edwards. 

Brown is the No. 39 recruit in her class and has represented the Australian Junior World's Team. Both Adame and Losey are CIF Southern Division 1 Section Championship finalists.

"This outstanding class of women signees will be instrumental in achieving our PAC-12 and NCAA goals," associate head coach Rachel Stratton-Mills said in the announcement. "They represent a talented, positive, hard working group who will contribute to the team in a wide range of events." 

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly spelled Kaitlyn Winkelman's last name. The story was updated on Nov. 24 at 10:52 p.m. to reflect this change.

Reach the reporters lhertz@asu.edu and oliviaeisenhauersports@gmail.com and follow @laurenrachell_ and @o_eisenhauer on Twitter. 

×