Active COVID-19 cases continue to decrease in ASU community

ASU enters the second week of the spring semester with 763 active coronavirus cases, a decrease of 95 from Thursday

Biodesign COVID Test

A COVID-19 saliva test tube is pictured on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 outside of State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. The saliva test was developed by ASU Biodesign Institute and can return results within 48-72 hours.

Active COVID-19 cases have continued to decline since the beginning of the spring semester, leaving ASU at a total of 763 active cases according to a University update Monday. 

Cases have decreased by 95 since Thursday, according to Monday's update. By the second full week of the Fall 2020 semester, active cases were at 775 before reaching a University peak three days later on Sept. 3 with 983 active cases.

Active cases among students decreased by 92 from Thursday to 600 total and active cases among employees decreased by three to 163 total.

There are 555 active cases among students off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area and 31 students are isolating on the Tempe campus. A total of 13 active student cases are on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.  

ASU has reported 5,604 cumulative cases since Aug. 1, according to the update. Since Thursday's update, cumulative cases have increased by 164 among students and increased by 33 among employees.

The University has collected approximately 201,092 tests from students and employees since Aug. 1. According to the update, ASU has tested approximately 72% of on-campus students and 12% of off-campus students since Jan. 1.

The ASU community's percent positivity rate is roughly 2.8%, using the cumulative number of positive results as the numerator and the total number of tests collected as the denominator.

Meanwhile, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show Arizona still has the highest rate of average daily COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people in the country.

Internal tracking of Arizona Department of Health Services ZIP code data where ASU campuses are located — 85281, 85004, 85306 and 85212 along with the 85282 ZIP code in Tempe — done by The State Press shows cumulative cases have increased by 7,778 since the last day of the fall semester. 

There were 460 combined new cases reported between Tempe's 85281 and 85282 ZIP codes since Thursday. The 85212 ZIP code, where the Polytechnic campus is located, reported 188 new cases. The 85004 ZIP code, where the Downtown Phoenix campus is located, reported 14 new cases. The 85306 ZIP code, where the West campus is located, reported 92 new cases since Thursday.

Community assistants, along with approximately 11,500 other community members, are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine as part of both Phase 1A and 1B of COVID-19 vaccine distribution in Arizona.

READ MORE: Community assistants now eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

The individuals eligible include "faculty, emergency workers, health workers, lab workers, police officers, those over 75, coaches and many staff and student workers in high student contact jobs," according to a University spokesperson.

Arizonans eligible to receive the vaccine can begin registering for February appointments on Tuesday, Jan. 19, at 9 a.m., according to a news release Monday from ADHS. 

In addition to the 24/7, state-run site at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, a second site will launch Monday, Feb. 1, at Phoenix Municipal Stadium near the Tempe campus.

ADHS Director Dr. Cara Christ said in the news release the state anticipates high demand for the appointments, but the federal supply of vaccines is limited and affects appointment availability. 

Reach the reporter at kkwilso5@asu.edu and follow @kaceywilson_ on Twitter. 

×