No. 10 ASU wrestling defeats Little Rock in season opener

The Sun Devils raced out to a 24-0 lead and cruised to victory

20200117 Wrestling vs Oregon State 0002

ASU senior Kordell Norfleet wrestles an Oregon State player on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

No. 10 ASU wrestling raced out to a 24-0 lead against Little Rock on its way to a 39-3 victory on Saturday in Tempe to begin its season. 

The Sun Devils were dominant the entire meet, winning nine of 10 matchups, including three pins, one technical fall and a major decision. 

ASU's 24 unanswered points came from six consecutive victories, including wins from redshirt junior Brandon Courtney, graduate student Peter Lipari and redshirt senior Cory Crooks.

Redshirt senior Cade Belshay and senior Kordell Norfleet secured consecutive first-period pins at 184 and 197 pounds, respectively. Redshirt sophomore Jacori Teemer recorded the third Sun Devil pin at the 157-pound weight class before intermission.

ASU's lone major decision of the day came from redshirt junior Michael McGee at the 133-pound weight class, winning his matchup 10-2 in his Sun Devil debut.

Redshirt senior Anthony Valencia secured the Sun Devils' only technical fall of the afternoon in the 165-pound weight class, winning 19-3.

The only drop of the day for ASU came from redshirt freshman Zane Coleman at the 174-pound weight class against redshirt freshman Triston Wills, losing the bout 7-1.

After the dual meet, both Little Rock and ASU took part in additional matches to help individual athletes reach the minimum number of matches needed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, as both teams have fewer meets currently scheduled compared to past seasons.

Norfleet added a second strong performance in his individual match, earning a 20-4 technical fall over freshman Brooks Sacharczyk.

McGee also earned his second major decision of the day with a 19-5 victory.

Redshirt freshman Cohlton Schultz also moved to 2-0 by pinning freshman Josiah Hill in his individual match.

ASU will travel to take on No. 20 Oklahoma next on Jan. 8 at 6 p.m. MST for its second matchup of the season.

Reach the reporter at dmwilhe1@asu.edu and follow @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter.

×