No. 20 ASU women's tennis loses to No. 23 Baylor, shuts out Iowa at ITA Kickoff Weekend

The Sun Devils lost to the Bears 4-2 on the first day of the tournament and shut out Iowa 4-0 on the second day

WK2_4192.JPG

Freshman Giulia Morlet hits the ball across the court against GCU at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe on Monday, Jan. 18, 2021. ASU beat GCU 7-0

No. 20 ASU women's tennis picked up a win and suffered its first loss of the season at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kickoff Weekend in Austin, Texas on Saturday and Sunday.

The Sun Devils lost 4-2 to No. 23 Baylor on day one of the tournament and won 4-0 against Iowa on day two. 

Baylor

The Sun Devils began the day with a loss in doubles, as seniors Ilze Hattingh and Lauryn John-Baptiste were shut out by Baylor juniors Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero Linana

Despite ASU losing its first doubles match, the other two doubles pairs — freshman Giulia Morlet and senior Tereza Kolarova, along with freshman Marianna Argyrokastriti and redshirt senior Sammi Hampton — secured wins over their opponents to win the doubles point.

The Sun Devils started out strong in their singles matches as Morlet won her first set 6-2 against junior Kristina Sorokolet and shut her out in the second.

Junior Domenika Turkovic and Hampton would both drop their singles matches, with Turkovic losing to junior Livia Kraus 6-2, 6-2 and Hampton losing to Herrero Linana 6-4, 6-3. 

With ASU and Baylor tied with two points apiece, Argyrokastriti lost her singles match against senior Angelina Shakhraichuk two sets to one to give Baylor a 3-2 lead. 

In the final singles match of the day, Hattingh lost to Krywoj 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 to give Baylor a 4-2 win over ASU.

Iowa

ASU (2-1) quickly secured the doubles point against Iowa with two wins. The pairing of Hampton and Argyrokastriti won 6-2 against Iowa senior Danielle Bauers and junior Samantha Gillas, and the pairing of Hattingh and John-Baptiste won 6-4 against freshman Alexa Noel and junior Samantha Mannix

The Sun Devils started out strong in their singles matches as John-Baptiste shut out Gillas in the first set and won the second 6-3. 

Kolarova also shut out her opponent, junior Michelle Bacalla, in the first set of her singles match and won the second set 6-2.

ASU secured the win over the Hawkeyes with Argyrokastriti defeating Mannix in her singles match 6-4, 6-4. 

The Sun Devils shut out the Hawkeyes 4-0 and won each of their matches in straight sets.

ASU will compete next against NAU on Jan. 31 at 12 p.m. MST in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter. 

×