No. 21 ASU gymnastics loses to No. 2 Oklahoma in season opener

No Sun Devil gymnast scored above 9.900 in any event in a 197.450-194.725 loss to the Sooners

20200117 gymnastics vs UC Davis 1765

ASU now-sophomore Juliette Boyer does a flip on the beam in a win against UC Davis on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe.

No. 21 ASU gymnastics lost to No. 2 Oklahoma 197.450-194.725 on Sunday at Norman. 

The Sun Devils started out strong on bars, with freshmen Sarah Clark and Emily White both posting a 9.850, the highest-scoring routine for each gymnast. 

The bars were the Sun Devils' highest-scoring category in the meet, being the only event where they scored above 49.000 points.

ASU trailed Oklahoma 49.325 to 49.175 after the first rotation, with the latter team gaining the lead with the help of three gymnasts scoring 9.875 on vault. 

The Sun Devils put up strong numbers in their second rotation, with senior Cairo Leonard-Baker scoring a 9.825 on vault and freshman Anaya Smith scoring a team-best 9.850 in the same event in her collegiate debut. 

After the second rotation, the Sooners increased their lead to 98.750 to 98.150, thanks to five Sooner gymnasts scoring above 9.875 on bars.

The Sun Devils competed on floor for their third rotation, scoring 48.625 points in the event. Sophomore Juliette Boyer and Leonard-Baker tied for the team-best score of 9.800 on floor. 

Oklahoma would increase its lead even more with a 49.400 on beam, their second-best score of the match.

The Sun Devils trailed by 1.325 points heading into the final rotation, a deficit that would only increase as they scored a meet-low 47.950 on beam.

Junior Megan Thompson scored a team-best 9.800 on beam, while Boyer and sophomore Gracie Reeves both scored a 9.725 on beam. 

The Sooners kept their lead throughout the meet thanks to five gymnasts scoring above 9.900 across multiple events — two on beam, two on floor and one on bars. ASU, however, failed to have a gymnast score once above that mark in any routine.

Boyer, Leonard-Baker and sophomore Hannah Scharf all scored above 38.000 points competing as all-around gymnasts. Boyer led the team with 39.125 points for the match. 

ASU will be home in Tempe for their next match on Jan. 16 at 4 p.m. MST when they take on BYU. 

Reach the reporter at njpietrz@asu.edu and follow @NPietrzycki on Twitter. 

×