ASU COVID-19 active cases have decreased since Thursday

A new COVID-19 vaccine site opened Monday at ASU’s Phoenix Municipal Stadium

20200815 ASU Tempe Move-in 0004.jpg
Students walk around the Tempe campus during move-in on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020.

Active COVID-19 cases continue to decrease within the ASU community as cumulative cases since Aug. 1 have cleared 6,000 among students and employees.

The University reported a total of 450 active cases as of Monday, a decrease of 60 cases since Thursday’s total of 510 active cases.

There are 336 active cases among off-campus students in the metropolitan Phoenix area, with 31 students in isolation on the Tempe campus. There are no active cases on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Employees make up 83 of the known active cases.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 1,615 cumulative cases out of the more than 34,869 tests administered in that time frame.

Of the cases since Jan. 1, students make up 1,355. Employees make up 260. The total number of cumulative cases since Aug. 1 is 6,120 within the ASU community. ASU has a positivity rate of roughly 2.8% since Aug. 1.

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 3,741 new cases and four new deaths Monday.

In the state of Arizona, 1,013,375 COVID-19 vaccines have been distributed. Of those distributed, 620,608 doses have been administered, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

A second state-run vaccine site has opened up in ASU’s Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The Stadium hopes to administer 500 doses per day. 

“We're excited to be able to be here, to be able to deploy at the scale necessary, to be able to push this thing back as hard as we can right now to get it back into the control mode,” ASU President Michael Crow said at the stadium. 

People who got the first dose at the State Farm Stadium in Glendale may now schedule their second doses of the vaccine. Vaccine appointments for the month of February have all been filled. 

“This is a virus that's been introduced to the human ecosystem in a way in which it's going to require us to all work together,” Crow said. 

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×