ASU increases vaccinations among the community

COVID-19 cases are slowly declining with new testing measures and expanding vaccination efforts

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0005.jpg

A volunteer administers the COVID-19 vaccine at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021.

As active COVID-19 cases have continued to decrease each week for the last month, ASU has been working to increase access to testing and vaccines.

In a meeting with The State Press Monday, ASU President Michael Crow said the University has distributed about 250,000 vaccines while running the state's two mass vaccination sites and has tested about 700,000 people for COVID-19.

Crow said the University is working to vaccinate ASU students and staff but hasn't secured as many doses as he would like because of lack of availability.

"What we can say is that, you know, our hope is to get as much vaccine as possible, vaccinate everybody, and so that's our goal," Crow said.

Neal Woodbury, chief science and technology officer at ASU Knowledge Enterprise, said he is hopeful ASU will be able to have anyone vaccinated who wants to be vaccinated by the end of the summer.

So far, ASU has vaccinated about 4,000 community members, such as community assistants, faculty and administrative officials, including President himself, Crow said.

Crow said he has received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine and will receive the second dose Friday.

"I hate vaccines, but I did it anyway," Crow said.

Active COVID-19 cases continue to decrease within the ASU community, as cumulative cases since Aug. 1 have passed 6,200 among students and employees.

The University reported a total of 211 active cases as of Monday, a decrease of 24 cases since Thursday's total of 235 active cases.

There are 164 active cases among off-campus students in the metropolitan Phoenix area, with six students in isolation on the Tempe campus. There are three active cases on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Employees make up 38 of the known active cases.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 1,775 cumulative cases out of the more than 48,315 tests administered in that time frame.

Of the cases since Jan. 1, students make up 1,483 and employees make up 292. The total number of cumulative cases since Aug. 1 is 6,280 within the ASU community. ASU has a positivity rate of roughly 2.7% since Aug. 1.

ASU recently began the transition of COVID-19 testing from in-person to drop-off testing sites on all four main campuses.

READ MORE: ASU launches drop-off testing sites to replace all in-person testing locations

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported 1,338 new cases and zero new deaths Monday.

In the state of Arizona, 1,393,575 COVID-19 vaccines have been distributed. Of those distributed, 1,089,155 doses have been administered, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Maricopa County started expanding vaccine access to people who are 65 and older to receive the vaccine in the statewide vaccine sites beginning Monday. Currently, 44% of people who are 75 and older in Maricopa County have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Vaccine distribution has slowly made its way to pharmacies, such as Walgreens, throughout the state. This past weekend, a Walgreens branch on 19th Avenue and Bethany Home Road gave out 100 vaccines.

Reach the reporter at anatar12@asu.edu or follow @AnushaNat1 on Twitter.

Anusha NatarajanDiversity Officer

Anusha Natarajan is in her third year at ASU studying sociology, history, and political science. She previously served as a reporter for the community and culture desk for four semester and helps with Spanish translation and oversees diversity efforts in the newsroom. 

×