Active COVID-19 cases continue to decrease for 4th consecutive week

There are 63 fewer active coronavirus cases among ASU employees and students since Monday's update

coivd-testing-car

A volunteer explains the ASU Biodesign saliva test process to State Press reporter Wyatt Myskow on Tuesday, July 28, 2020, outside State Farm Stadium in Glendale. The saliva test can return results in as fast as 48.

The University reported a total of 235 active cases Thursday, a decrease of 63 cases since Monday's report of 298 active cases.

There are 178 active cases among students off campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area and nine students are isolating on the Tempe campus. A total of four active student cases are in isolation on the Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses.

Since Jan. 1, the University has reported 1,741 cumulative cases reported out of the more than 45,276 tests administered. ASU has a positivity rate of roughly 3.8% this semester, below the recommended 5% threshold indicating the spread of the virus is under control.

Of the cases since Jan. 1, 1,455 are students and 286 are employees. The total number of cumulative cases since Aug. 1 is 6,246 within the ASU community.

The Arizona Department of Health Services dashboard reported 1,861 new cases and 200 new deaths Thursday.

Arizona is seventh in the country for average daily COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people over the past seven days, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's COVID Data Tracker

Meanwhile, a total of 207 students and 21 student organizations have been placed on interim action since Aug. 1 for allegedly violating COVID-19 guidelines, according to a University spokesperson. 

There are currently six students and five student organizations on interim action.

READ MORE: Over 160 ASU students found responsible for violating COVID-19 guidelines

ASU received authorization to administer 1,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine weekly at the SDFC vaccination site in Tempe, but the University has yet to provide a total count of ASU community members who have been vaccinated since the site’s opening on Jan. 22.

In an email sent to ASU employees by University Provost Mark Searle and Chief Financial Officer Morgan Olsen, employees were encouraged to complete a survey that will assist in the University's efforts to notify community members of vaccine opportunities.

The University expects to receive additional doses in the coming weeks and eligible employees will receive an email invite for an on-campus vaccination as the COVID-19 doses become available, according to the email. 

Reach the reporter at kkwilso5@asu.edu and follow @kaceywilson_ on Twitter. 

Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today.

×