ASU hockey begins final stint of season with series split at Michigan State

ASU picked up both a win and a loss in the series

Edit M 3.jpg

ASU senior forward Dominic Garcia (37) gets checked by a member of the U.S National Under-18 Ice Hockey Team at Oceanside Ice Arena on Friday, Feb. 5, 2021. ASU won 2-1.

The ASU men's hockey team split its most recent series against Michigan State, winning 3-2 on Sunday and losing 2-1 on Monday at Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing, Michigan.

Sunday

ASU found the scoreboard early—13 seconds into the game, in fact—on a game-opening goal from senior forward Dominic Garcia, propelling the Sun Devils to an early lead. Garcia's goal served as the only score in the opening period.

The Spartans followed up with a first-minute goal of its own 36 seconds into the second period, retying the game.

Both teams traded goals in the third period; ASU's Chris Grando scored 14 minutes and 34 seconds into the period to push ASU into the lead once again.

A late cross-checking penalty from sophomore defenseman Tanner Hickey allowed the Spartans to tie the game with one minute and four seconds left in the game.

However, a late goal scored on an offensive rush by sophomore defenseman Jacob Semik, with 40 seconds remaining in regulation, stole the game for the Sun Devils, who won 3-2.

ASU freshman goaltender Cole Brady made 36 saves on 38 shots in the game, picking up his second win of the season.

Monday

Michigan State began Monday afternoon's matchup with a goal 15 minutes and 48 seconds into the first period on a goal from Jagger Joshua to give the Spartans their first lead of the series.

ASU was unable to score in the opening period, but capitalized on a power-play late in the second with a goal from forward Demetrios Koumontzis with one minute and 26 seconds remaining in the frame to knot the game at one goal apiece.

The Spartans struck late in the third period, with three minutes and 57 seconds remaining in the game, to pull ahead into the lead once more in the contest, securing their seventh win of the season and handing ASU its 14th loss of 2020-21.

ASU outshot Michigan State 33-24, won 27 of 48 faceoffs and struck on one of four powerplay opportunities in the game.

The Sun Devils' next series will come on Feb. 26 and 27 against Michigan, who beat ASU 8-1 and 3-0 in the first series of the season. 

ASU was slated to play Penn State on Feb. 20-21, but COVID-19 developments within the Penn State program led to the series being canceled.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×