ASU men's basketball blows out Washington by 33 points

The Sun Devils bested the Huskies 97-64 in a dominant two-way showing

JoshChristopherdunk.jpg

ASU freshman guard Josh Christopher (13) dunks the ball against UA on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021, in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe. ASU lost the game 84-82.

ASU men's basketball dominated on both offense and defense Tuesday in a 97-64 blowout win against Washington in Tempe, the team's largest margin of victory in Pac-12 play of the Bobby Hurley era.

The game was initially competitive, as the Sun Devils led just 19-18 with 10:32 remaining in the first half, but they reigned supreme during the remainder of the period, outscoring the Huskies 30-11 from then on.

ASU sustained its hot offensive pace in the second half, finishing with its second-highest single-game scoring mark of the season. The team shot 50.7% from the field and 38.5% from beyond the arc while also posting 19 assists to just eight turnovers.

The Sun Devils also forced 16 turnovers and held the Huskies to just 7-of-29 shooting from beyond the arc, which ASU head coach Bobby Hurley said was a point of emphasis in the team's game plan.

Senior guard Remy Martin continued his recent offensive tear, scoring 26 points on 8-of-15 shooting and recording six assists. Martin is now averaging 26.2 points per game over his last six games.

"Since the second Arizona game, he's been a different player, and it's been the player that I've grown accustomed to coaching," Hurley said. "He's seeing things on the floor and just making great plays out there. He's doing it with passion and he's competing. (He's) probably playing as good as anybody in the conference right now."

The Sun Devils were once again shorthanded, missing three starters in freshman guard Josh Christopher, freshman forward Marcus Bagley and sophomore forward Jalen Graham, but many players stepped up to replace their production.

Senior forward Kimani Lawrence continued his hot offensive stretch, topping his season-high of 18 points set in the previous game with 22 on 9-of-11 shooting on Tuesday.

"Kimani Lawrence is in a really good place right now, playing as good of basketball as I've seen him play," Hurley said. "Just got a nose for the ball right now, moving well without it, finishing."

Senior guard Alonzo Verge Jr. posted 16 points on 7-of-14 shooting, and junior forward Chris Osten finished with eight points, eight rebounds and three blocks.

Senior guard Holland Woods also scored eight points, and sophomore guard Jaelen House notched four steals, rounding out one of the team's strongest all-around efforts of the season.  

"It was enjoyable to watch them have fun playing basketball," Hurley said. "That hasn't always been the case this year."

ASU will face Washington next in a rematch on Feb. 25 at 5 p.m. MST in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at cbreber@asu.edu and follow @carsobi on Twitter.

×