Two ASU track and field athletes break records at Texas Tech Shootout

Hayley Rayburn broke ASU's women's pole vaulting record, and Turner Washington set a new NCAA record in men's shot put

Haley Rayburn.JPG

ASU junior pole vaulter Hayley Rayburn clears the bar in the women's pole vault at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Friday, Feb. 5, 2021. Rayburn finished the event in seventh place.

ASU track and field set new records at the Texas Tech Shootout in Lubbock, Texas on Friday and Saturday. Junior Hayley Rayburn broke a program record in women's pole vault, and redshirt junior Turner Washington set a new NCAA record in the men's shot put.

The Sun Devils earned eight top-five finishes at the meet.

Friday

The Sun Devils started the day with junior Ta'nalya Gordon finishing in 11th place in the women's long jump, recording a distance of 5.76 meters.

Rayburn secured a second-place finish in the women's pole vault, successfully clearing six different heights, including 4.32 meters, before failing to clear the 4.37-meter height. Rayburn's clearing of the 4.32-meter height broke the previous program record of 4.30-meters. 

Sophomore Sevanna Hanson secured fifth place for the Sun Devils in the women's pole vault, and senior Tommi Hintnaus secured eighth place.

Sophomore Keira Christie-Galloway qualified in the women's 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.40 seconds, earning sixth place. She also placed sixth in the finals, finishing with a time of 8.46 seconds in the event. 

Freshman Jamar Marshall Jr. and senior Kentre Patterson both qualified in the men's 60-meter hurdles, finishing in first and second place, respectively. The pair also secured first and second place in the final, with Patterson finishing with a time of 7.76 seconds and Marshall Jr. finishing in 7.81 seconds. 

Senior Antonio Mitchell II qualified in the men's 60 meters in seventh place, finishing with a time of 6.73 seconds. He placed third in the final with a time of 6.67 seconds. 

In the men's 400 meters, junior Dubem Nwachukwu secured eighth place for the Sun Devils, finishing with a time of 47.28 seconds. 

Sophomore Arius Williams secured 12th place in the women's 400 meters, finishing with a time of 55.85 seconds. 

Saturday

Graduate student Jorinde van Klinken began the second day for ASU by finishing in second place in the women's shot put, throwing for a distance of 17.67 meters.

Redshirt junior Cole Riddle secured third place in the men's pole vault, clearing the 5.02, 5.17 and 5.32-meter heights but failing to clear the 5.42-meter height. Senior Michael Chadwick secured sixth place in the event, clearing the 4.87, 5.02 and 5.17-meter heights before failing to clear the 5.32-meter height. 

Washington won first place in the men's shot put, throwing for a distance of 21.85 meters, which set a new NCAA record in the event.

Williams placed 12th in the women's 200 meters with a time of 24.55 seconds. 

Mitchell II placed eighth in the men's 200 meters, finishing with a time of 21.24 seconds. 

In the women's triple jump, sophomore Christina Warren placed 11th with a distance of 12.13 meters. 

In the last event of the meet for ASU, the women's 4x400 relay team placed eighth, finishing with a time of 3:52.53. 

Individual ASU track and field athletes will compete next on March 11-13 at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas. 

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter. 

×