Cigna Medical Group to open medical office at SkySong

The office will see patients and provide a number of health care services

20200423 Skysong 0004.jpg
SkySong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center, is pictured on Thursday, April 23, 2020, in Scottsdale.

SkySong, The ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center recently announced that Cigna Medical Group will be opening a new health center in the SkySong 4 building.

SkySong is one of seven locations that make up ASU's Innovation Zones. SkySong's complex also houses corporate tenants, apartments, conference spaces and other features.

The center will accept new and existing patients and plans to provide a number of services including family medicine, diabetes care and a pharmacy onsite.

A Cigna spokesperson said in an email statement that the company is looking forward to joining SkySong for the advantages it provides.

"The center will be in a convenient and central location, allowing us to grow and serve more patients in a modern, comfortable setting," the spokesperson said. "Becoming a part of such a dynamic mixed-use environment will also help advance our innovation efforts through opportunities for collaboration with other companies in the community and Arizona State University."

Sally C. Morton, executive vice president of ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise, which leads ASU Innovation Zones, said in an email statement that Knowledge Enterprise is "delighted" by Cigna's decision to join SkySong.

"This represents an opportunity to elevate the dynamics around the delivery of healthcare in the region – a reflection of our charter’s commitment to improving lives in the communities we serve," Morton said in the email.

Sharon Harper, president, CEO and co-founder of the master developer for SkySong, Plaza Companies, said the company is excited to see Cigna move in because it helps further their mission to be a collaborative development. She said SkySong hopes to foster connections between the companies they lease to and ASU, and to also contribute to the local community.

"SkySong has always been envisioned to be excellence in mixed use development … but within the office, providing services not only that interact with other companies at SkySong, but also serve the greater community, whether it's in technology or financial services or, in this case, health care," Harper said. "So we're thrilled that (Cigna) rounds out that vision."

Harper said because of ASU’s existing ties to health care and research, partnering with Cigna to develop new projects is "a natural fit." 

"With the robust leadership platform of ASU’s (College of Health Solutions) and Biodesign Institute for the collaboration they have with many health care institutions all across the valley, this is an ideal additional opportunity to really elevate services, the dynamics, the innovations for delivering health care service in our region," Harper said.

Reach the reporter at gmlieber@asu.edu and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter.

×